Zaphod
Zaphod, Diagnostician, Trainer
Experience:  14+ years on an automotive technical hot line; Top Gun Diagnostician award
6510440

2008 CTS: sport and automatic transmission..pedel..high gear..shift

Cadillic 2008 CTS with sport and automatic transmission, when in automatic mode suddenly from a stop, I pressed the gas pedel and the car would hardly move, it seemed stuck in a very high gear.
Sport mode would not shift. Anyone know what could be the problem. Check engine light is on as well.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name I Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Sorry for the delay. Its most likely in computer controlled "limp mode" because a problem was detected by the computer.

At this point? the only way for me to continue to help is to know the trouble codes set since light is on. Most parts stores will scan fro free like Autozone etc.They will give code # XXXXX what it means.

LMk thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much. I took off the battery terminal and rehooked it up about an hour later and all seemed fine. Drove all day and no problems at all. Thank you for you answer, I'll check what the code was, I would think its stored in memory, and see whats up. Thanks again. I'll keep you in mind for an other questions and I'll pay next time.
Expert:  Zaphod replied 2 years ago.
HiCustomer
What you did is clear some of the memory from all the various computers in the vehicle. This most certainly has wiped out memory for things like adaptive shift strategy, idle speed control, memory seat, steering wheel and mirror positions, as well as your radio stations. Fault codes in engine, transmission, powertrain and vehicle control modules that cause the Check Engine [aka MIL [malfunction indicator lamp] to turn on , aka DTC's [diagnostic trouble codes] will be cleared from current memory, however a history code will still be there. This history code can be read by any OBD2 capable scanner, and as mentioned by the other expert, this can be done by almost any auto parts store for free. Expect that they'll try and sell you something based on the code and perhaps a known common problem-but this is known as 'shotgun diagnostics' and is more often than not a very expensive method of repairing a problem. Good luck, Jeff
Zaphod, Diagnostician, Trainer
Experience: 14+ years on an automotive technical hot line; Top Gun Diagnostician award
Expert:  Zaphod replied 2 years ago.
Have you had that code checked yet? If you post the code I can give you information about it, search for known OEM bulletins, provide diagnostic and repair assistance and other technical information.
Jeff