Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.

how do you remove the belt tensioner?

how do you remove the belt tensioner?

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

What engine is in your Rodeo?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh sorry 3.2L DOHC

Does your setup look like this?

Why are you removing the tensioner? Replacement, or to remove the belt?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it does.
Hi, You didn't answer my second and third questions on my last post. Are you replacing the Tensioner, or do you just need to remove the belt?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well, needing to take block in for cleaning and honeing, so might replace tensioner. oh and i am sorry that i did not answer that.

Oh, I see, The bolt that is holding on the tensioner is in the center of the pivot point, if you can't see it from the front, you may need to access it from the rear of the mounting bracket, and it may be necessary to remove the bracket to allow access to the backside to access the bolt....

If you are still having a hard time finding it, let me know...... I'll look for some actual pics for you....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, i did not look at the back of bracket . i will when i get home.
thank you
No problem, Let me know how it goes....Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is an allen head on the front of tensioner. i have seen that bolt before, i only removed it once on another vehical and dissembled the whole tensioner by accident.

Cool, glad you got it figured out

If you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help if needed. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!