vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Experience:  25 years GM factory trained ATA UK registered

I have got a vauxhall meriva 1.7cdti and I changed fuel and

Customer Question

I have got a vauxhall meriva 1.7cdti and I changed fuel and air filters and now it wont start. Is there an equevalent of a primer in modern diesel cars to get rid of air lock.
Category: Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, No there is no primer on this engine and are notoriously hard to start after a filter replacement.

We at Vauxhall pre fill the filter and it usually starts after a short while, if not we use a bleed pump (electric), hand pumps are available from good motor factors.

Try filling the filter to the top and only crank in 15 second bursts to rest the starter motor.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried like I said ontop to fill the the filter compartment so the filter is saturated with diesel and have tried to crank in short bursts for more than an hour but nothing is happening. I have tried to losen the injectors but fuel is not getting as far as injectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you still there mate
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 4 years ago.
Sorry had to retire up the wooden hill, Don't undo the injectors on a high pressure diesel system this will make matters worse and more air will get in, it looks like you will either have to get a bleed pump or tow start.