Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2002 Isuzu Axiom: runs fine..shift..it revs like it is in neutral

Customer Question

2002 Isuzu Axiom, 118K. Just changed the oil, started it up and runs fine, however, I shift it into gear and nothing happens. Fine before, now it revs like it is in neutral? Emergency break off, gear changes reflected on dash readout, but no go?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, check your engine oil and transmission oil level and let me know if they are both level or one is overfull and the other is low or empty.

It is possible that you mistakenly drained the transmission instead of engine oil - not insulting your abilities as I have seen 20yr techs make this mistake.

But this is the starting point as we need to start with the basics and go from there

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is exactly what I did. I'll get the transmission fluid and fill. Drain the brand new oil (Mobil 1). Is there anything else that needs to be done? I'm assuming there is a sensor or something which prevented the transmission from engaging?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

with no fluid in the pan, the fluid pump doesnt pick any thing up and no line pressure. without line pressure the tranny wont move. Once you fill with tranny fluid it will be fine. You will need to go thru the gears with the gear shifter a few times to get it circulating, but then it will be fine and go into gear.