Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

my drivers side door wont lock using the remote control

Customer Question

my drivers side door won't lock using the remote control on my land rover LR3 HSE what should be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

There can be different issues such as an actual fault on the door lock itself...but the usualy fault with this model/ this fault is with broken wiring inside the door..

Im afraid this entails removal of the door panel to gain access to the inside of the door - then you will see the wiring going through a rubber grommet - into the door.

You need to remove this wire / grommet etc - and check from there to the wire connector ( block connector ) inside the door - which is the circuit to the lock... You need to strip back the insulation -there are several wires in there - check to find the broken one which is usually the case.

A note of warning - there are air bag / srs system sensors in the door - you need to disconnect the vehicle battery and leave for 10 mins standing before starting to work to disable the air bag / srs system for safety.

The other way forward from starting point, is to have a LR shop do a plug in diagnostic scan using the diagnostic port - that will trace the fault down to its location to be sure - which does save a lot of work in checking procedures...

Im very pleased to have helped you -...

Meantime ~ Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The door had been doing just that but when i disconnect the battery and connect them again and drive the car for a distance it starts working properly. but now that trick does not work any more.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply..

In that case it does sound very much as though you have the common issue as above -maybe the wire is not fully broken , just chaffed or hot /miss through damage...

Again - it could be a sticking mechanism or control - so , your way forward on this one is as above now for sure....

Best Rgds, MIKE.

~ Please click the "Accept button" for me now - Thank You ...

..Rgds - MIKE