ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

2008 impala: locks..rains..making a knocking sound..same thing again

Customer Question

I drive a 2008 impala. My steering wheel locks when it rains. It is also making a knocking sound which I had supposedly repaired a few months ago and it is doing the same thing again! Help!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 5 years ago.

ksengage31 :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i'm happy to offer you some help today.

ksengage31 :

The problem you described sounds very similar to something ive seen often, hopefully i can help.

ksengage31 :

If it hasn't been checked already, have the dealer (or your mechanic) take a look at the intermediate steering shaft. It connects the lower steering column to the steering rack. there are several service bulletins involving noise from these, and ive replaced many.

ksengage31 :

Can you feel anything in the brake pedal when it makes this noise?

JACUSTOMER-gr4zivb9- : No. The noise starts differently. Sometimes it begins knocking when I unlock the car. Sometimes it starts after I have been driving a while. Other times it starts when I turn on the air conditioning.
ksengage31 :

I see. Well thats definately different then what i had in mind. I don't believe i have come across this particular issue.

ksengage31 :

I'll opt out, and we'll open this question to other gm experts to respond to see if someone else has ok?

JACUSTOMER-gr4zivb9- : Ok
ksengage31 :

Good luck, im sure one of the other experts will have something for you shortly. thanks.