Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

toyota: hybrid..hence are shopping for a new car

We are about to give my son my wife's Toyota highlander(hybrid) and hence are shopping for a new car. My wife is thinking Prius(ie - green). I am concerned re: performance in the snow. We don't live in Bismark, but my wife is a neonatologist and sometimes needs to get to the hospital in a hurry. I am envisioning the phone call where she tells me she abandoned the car and is walking! What are your thoughts on the "snowworthiness" of this car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question.

Toyota Service :

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer's live online chat.

Toyota Service :

Regarding the snow-worthiness of the Prius vs the Highlander, I would suggest that the Prius will not "go in snow" like the Highlander does. My experience here is being located in Pennsylvania; we do get some rather large snowfalls at times.

Toyota Service :

The issue here is not whether the Prius in inferior, no, not by a long shot. What I am talking about is ground clearance

Customer:

well.... i know it won't function like an SUV but how bad is it?

Toyota Service :

6 inches of snow will rub the underside of the Prius.

Customer:

is that the start of another 6 inches joke?

Toyota Service :

I have customers that have fitted snow tires to their Prius-s, they go reasonably well, when the roads are clear. They do not go when the roads are not clear.

Toyota Service :

Not joking. Apologies if that sounded like a joke.

Toyota Service :

With the fact that your wife may need to be called out at night, and encountering unplowed roads, I would express a concern with a Prius.

Customer:

would the camry hybrid be any better?

Toyota Service :

Yes, it would be a bit better, as it is a 'heavier' car, but it too is low to the ground, measuring the floor pan to the road surface.

Toyota Service :

I drive a Camry. It does not do well in unplowed snow.

Toyota Service :

...I am the first one to my dealership, I plow the lot....

Customer:

any thoughts on rav4 versus highlander hybrid

Toyota Service :

If I had my choice, Prius vs Camry vs Highlander, the Highlander wins

Toyota Service :

Rav/4 is a much lighter vehicle. It is pretty good. A worthy alternative.

Toyota Service :

A 4wd Venza would also be a very nice option, too.

Toyota Service :

My next car is going to be 4WD Venza. Great cars.

Customer:

are there other suv's to consider that do better mileage wise(thinking green here)

Toyota Service :

Nothing beats the Highlander, in my opinion, as a "green" SUV.

Customer:

ok. you have been v helpful...much more so than the toyota salesman!

Toyota Service :

Do you have any other questions for me today?

Toyota Service :

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. Have a great day,

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field