Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Suzuki Grand Vitara: was rear ended and finally, is at my mechanics

P.S. It wasn't branded, so I'm assuming the frame is perfectly fine.

My Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited Edition was rear ended and finally, is at my mechanics' to be repaired, thanks to my insurance company's settlement. It needs a whole new tail gate, rear bumper, and perhaps rebar (? the square cross-sectioned bar just behind the gas tank that the tow bar attaches to - it's bent in.) THe lights are fine, and she drives as sweet as ever. Also, will probably need the spare tire replaced, as it took a lot of the impact, as well as the solid cover, but I'm not fussy about the cover! My mechanics are fabulous, shop rate only $69/hr, but haven't got back to me yet with an estimate. What would be your estimate and time to repair? The mechanics are in Kitchener, Ontario. Thanks! Julia

Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

If the damage is only to the tailgate and no other body damage other than it and the bumper you are looking at about $3,000 to $4,000 dollars US.

That is a rough estimate of course, not being able to see it. It could even be less depending on where they get the parts and if they can find a good used tailgate the right color already that will help.