Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 rodeo: 3.2l engine stopped running while driving

Customer Question

2001 rodeo 3.2l engine stopped running while driving! would not start again. have all fluids levels "OK"...Have spark for just a few times, and then it stops. NO OBDII codes on the system. not able to get the car running...Some Help PLEASE
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is AMEDEE and I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Are you saying that the engine does in fact have spark when cranking it over?

If so, does it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just a spudder...then stops due to no more starting fluid
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
HAve you checked engine compression? What about the timing marks? Your timing belt could have broke?

IF not and you are loosing spark when cranking then we need to check the cranskahft position sensor. If there is consistant spark when cranking, then we need to check fuel pressure and injector pulse.