Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2000 Isuzu Rodeo: automatic..transfer case..shifter..in 2wd... What

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 automatic 4wd. The transfer case started popping out of 4H when in 4wd. I noticed the 4H/4L range shifter doesn't lock when in 4H, but it does when in 2wd... What should I look for?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Has the 4wd control unit been checked or the differential?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not checked the 4wd control module, I did check the tire sizes and the differential to make sure everything was matched up.. It does engage the front differential, everything locks in ok, and if I just hold slight finger pressure on the range shifter, it will stay in 4H, if I don't touch it, after about 100 feet of driving, it pops out and goes inbetween 4H and 4L and starts grinding.. I have to stop, shut it off and put it back in...
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
OK then the problem is int eh actual shifter itself .There is a little plastic bushing that hold this in place and is most likely cracked .You can get the entire piece from a salvage yard for about 40 dollars.This is what you need to check next .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked the shifter, even replaced the entire unit 4 times... still same result... The range shifter is locked and will not move out of 4H when the vehicle is in 2wd... when I push the button for 4wd, the front diff lights flash and the unit locks in 4wd, when I put the vehicle into drive, the range shifter will lock sometimes for a minute or two, I can put it in neutral, and the range lever will move from 4H to 4L, put it back in drive or Reverse and the range lever will lock sometimes, sometimes it won't . If the lever locks, it will stay in 4wd. If it doesn't lock, it will pop out of 4H. Isn't the range lever supposed to stay locked in place when in 4WD and the transmission is in gear and moving?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes it should unless that bushing is bad .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have already done what was suggested. I would like another answer.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Check the oil level in the shift on the fly (sotf) part of the axle thats the left of the front one - it holds about 1 pint of gear oil and gets missed at service time .I would try this next it can cause this issue to happen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This can cause the range lever to kick out and not to lock?
Isn't the range lever supposed to lock when in 4wd. and in Gear?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes but this can cause it not to lock .i would start here next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does that cause the range lever not to lock.... ?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
If there is not enough fluid then it will not hold the levr in place and wear out the gear .This needs to be checked next unless its in the transmission itself .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lever (range 4h/4l) is in the transfer case. The transfer case is full of fluid. Is there another special place that holds fluid that i am missing?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Let me look something up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok , thank you..
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
OK this is most likely a problem with the transfer case or the install .There is nothing else that affects this.Was this a salvage unit installed and was it installed properly ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was a salvage unit installed. I bought the transfer case from my local LKQ dealer.. low mileage. Had my transmission repair shop do the install... I had the same result with 3 different units.. I noticed that when I have the 2wd button selected that the range shifter will not move, it seems to be electrically locked in, maybe by the actuator motor, on the transfer case, I don't know. when I select 4wd, I can move the range lever from 4h to 4l, sometimes when I am in Gear it will lock the lever, just like it does in 2wd, can't physically pull it out.. so after 3 transfer cases, I thought I was barking up the wrong tree... I thought that something should be locking the lever when in 4wd too...
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes I figured they replace the actuator . They need to replace that actuator and if there is still an issues it has to do with there rebuild or there using the wrong year transfer case . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know what locks the range shifter from moving when in 2wd and in 4wd.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
The actuator is what locks it in place .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think it could possibly be a bad Transmission range switch ?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
No that's just tells the ECM what gear it's in and lights the gear on the dasher that does not old the actual shifter in place. The actuator is what holds it in place.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does the actuator get the signal from the Range switch/Ecm to lock the shifter? I know the instructions on the sun visor says to stop, put the transmission in neutral, then move the range lever from 4H to L or vice-versa...
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes it gets the signal from the ECM which gets the signal from the range switch .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, do you think I might be loosing the signal from the range switch, causing the actuator to not hold the lock on the range lever?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
It's possible . If that range switch is shorted out or not adjusted properly it can cause this issue . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you..... I will check into that....
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Anytime.