Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Rodeo: litre 2004 V6..blowing..due to excessive plums of blue smoke

Hi their. We have a Rodeo 3.5 litre 2004 V6 that is giving us nightmares! At 124,000 this motor just began blowing excessive smoke and un-drivable due to excessive plums of blue smoke. We have a workshop and fully rebuild this motor 200kms ago. Engine was ok and now back to square one! Comps are good, but and cylinders have oil on top of pistons except lefthand rear bank. Pcv and breathers all clear. When engine striped down originally, no real signs of wear/damage was evident. Is their something we are over-looking? Can you help? Have invested lots of time and money without a solution! Don't want to strip down motor again if another solution. If Cat convertor/s had failed and sucked fragments back, i"m sure bore damage would have occured. PLEASE HELP...Thanks Tom.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

Ok, blue smoke is burning oil.

So you are saying this engine was rebuilt just 124 miles ago?

Did you replace the oil control piston rings? Those are usually the lowest rings. Did you stagger the ends of the other rings so the empty spaces don't lign up?

If you do have oil on top of a few pistons, then those oil control rings may be worn if they weren't replaced, or the cylinders may be too worn. Did you do any measuring to the cylinder walls?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou for your reply.

Engine done no more than 200km since rebulid!

Engine block was replaced with second hand unit, proffessionally machined, new pistons, rings, bearings to suit. Cylinder heads reconditioned and new gaskets, t-belts etc fitted.

25 years in the trade have only fitted rings incorrectly as an apprentice!(my but still hurts lol :)

We must be over-looking something as fault is exactly the same as before rebuild, hence our reason for overhaul in first place.

All 6 cylinders have oil on tops. Only no.6 cylinder has very little.

Engine performed as normal with-in 200kms and then just began to smoke as previously.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Did you rebuild or replace the oil pump? How much oil pressure do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pump was serviced, clearances checked and refittted.

Will carry out oil pressure check and get back to you.

Regards Tom.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for advise.

Oil pressure checked and reads 700kpa pressure @ 3000rpm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Thats 101 psi. Let me see if I can find the spec on that but I've never heard of any spec that high.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At operating temperature, gauge sits around 50psi and doubles that @ 3,000rpm.

Looks like oil pump had the gong!!!!

Thankyou so much....we may finally be able to get it right thanks to your help.

Regards Tom.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
I cannot find any specs on that. I have no manuals that cover the Holden. I still believe though 100 psi is too much. If that oil pump has a spring for the relief valve perhaps it is stuck maybe due to gunk or carbon buildup.