Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Suzuki XL7: every wiring diagram I can find for a 2003 Suzuki

every wiring diagram I can find for a 2003 Suzuki XL7 says the starter wire in the ignition harness is black and red. The harness from my ignition switch has no blk/red wires. Am I looking in the wrong place or is there an error in the diagrams I have found?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.

Tracer :

I have the diagrams up and shows black and red as well. maybe you can tell me all the wire colors coming off ignition switch?

Customer:

gimme a sec and I'll go out to the car

Tracer :

also, where are you looking/?

Customer:

IU am assuming the starter wire will be a bigger guage wire. The bigger guage wires I have are: Yellow/Blk, Blk, Yel, blu/brn, blu/blk and wht/grn

Customer:

looking at the harness from the ignition switch

Tracer :

so you are looking right at the switch withe these wires correct? auto trans? manual trans?

Customer:

auto trans looking at the ignition swith and the harness coming from it. There are two smaller black/grey wires as well

Tracer :

I am looking at things, bear with me

Customer:

n/p

Customer:

this has been driving me nuts for a couple weeks

Tracer :

barley any wire color you mention is matching up with what i am seeing at switch. You are 100% this is a 2003 correct?

Customer:

sold and registered as 2003. I can give you the VIN if it helps

Tracer :

no, its ok, I need you to do some checking at something. I have very limited repair info on my end so have to speak in basics. I want you to locate the shift cable where it hooks to trans if possible Right where it hooks up is a switch. I need to know the wire colors at that switch. Its basically the neutral safety switch.There is no rush so dont worry about me

Customer:

the white and green did give 12v power

Customer:

k

Tracer :

I mean we can go with the only wire that shows 12 volts when you turn key to START only, but i want to try and play this safe

Customer:

is this wire under the car or can it be located from above?

Customer:

I see a white and a blue wire near the tranny from above, but without my jack I can't get under the car

Tracer :

Not the wire for this second, just try to find where the shift cable from shift hooks to trans. i cant remember exact spot. I think on left side of trans so under vehicle if possible, I may? also have found the problem so helping get to where shift cable hooks to trans then LMk when found can confirm this

Customer:

ok. going to storage (in an apartment only basic tools here)

Tracer :

no tools needed if? you can slide under, look at left side of trans , find wher cable hooks and LMk if this is easier

Customer:

i'll try. gOT THE RUNNING BOARDS SO IT'S TIGHT

Tracer :

ok, dont worry about it. let me check something. back shortly

Customer:

ok got blu/blk, blk/ylw and blu/wht

Customer:

brb, gonna wash hands

Tracer :

ok

Tracer :

lmk when ur back

Customer:

k

Customer:

bk

Tracer :

ok, first, i know 10000% what the problem is but need time and pictures need to be sent.best i exit chat mode and go to regular mode to do this,. I will not lose you so wait just a minute or 2 and i will be right back with you in different mode

Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Ok, back, can you view this?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
are you with me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
great!!. let me type up the info you need. Please allow me a couple minutes to do so. back shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
harness and switrch I think pix attachedswitch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
harness pic
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I kind of figured this was the problem. the problem is,, the igntion switch does NOT have a plug on the back but runs down column to a connector as E18. Its shown on left in the diagram below. it appears to be above fuse etc? Not a great picture but need to locate E18

The problem is the wires change color at that connector where switch plugs in

2 choices. Either use testlight and be 100% when you probe wires at the switch itself that you find the ONLY wire thats hot ONLY when turned to crank. Thats the wire you need up in column

Or.. you can try to find the connector E18 where switch plugs in and locate the black/red wire there

Its your call

Here is pic of switch showing the harness and the location of E18 on the left of the pic at bottom

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wondered about that. Let me go check the easiest way to sort this out and I'll be back. If my computer goes into sleep mode I can come back here right?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
yes,, i will assure you its what it is. i have seen this before but forgot. many times they will cnage colors since that switch does in fact fit different vehicles
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair