autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ Advance Engine Performance
157591

Check engine light comes on and then goes off then comes on and then goes off.

autodoc_2000 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Have you had the codes checked to see what they are? I will research your question for a few minutes and be right back.

Customer:

YES... SEVERAL TIMES...

Customer:

CAN'T REMEMBER THEM NOW THOUGH...

autodoc_2000 :

These engine have issues with the fuel injector poppets plugging up. The codes may be P0171, P0174 or a misfire code from P0300 -P0308. The injector body is in the center of the intake manifold and has piping going off to the cylinders and the ends of these pieces of piping are called poppets. They get gunked up and when cold will not allow the correct spray or possibly not allow fuel at all until the ends warm up and then it becomes pliable and will spray correctly. The repair is a special fuel injector cleaning procedure or replacement of the fuel injector assy. The tools needed for the cleaning are only available at GM garages. Having it cleaned may not totally take care of the issue either.

Customer:

those were the codes...

autodoc_2000 :

I would try to have the injector poppets cleaned. If that does not work then replacement of the injector assembly would be next.

Customer:

Thank you... injector poppets? Right? Could these possible be cleaned with an over the counter injector cleaner?

autodoc_2000 :

No I have had no luck with an over the counter cleaner. There is a special tool that GM uses to run the cleaner through. We had to take a couple of these to the GM dealer to be cleaned because we did not have the tool to do it.

Customer:

Thank you... off to the dealer tomorrow then...