ASE Master Guru
ASE Master Guru, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified technician with over 20 years of experience in both foreign and domestic automotive repair.
65777661

Why does my 2004 mercury mountaineer wanders?

Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Master Guru replied 4 years ago.
Hello, there are several components in your front steering/suspension that can cause your concern. The first thing to check is all steering components for looseness or excessive slop. The inner tie rod ends can be checked by suitably raising the front end off the floor and then inspecting for any in/out movement by grabbing the tire at the 9 and 3 position and wiggling back and forth. The outer tie rod ends are checked for up/down movement. This can be accomplished by using a pry bar and inspecting the joint while applying and releasing pressure. You may also want to check your stabilizer links and ball joints for excessive play as well. I hope this helps, if you have further questions feel free to ask.