Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
A new question is answered every 9 seconds to neutral to park changes the note

My citroen xsara automatic 220,000kms grows and shakes for the first five miles from cold -- really noisy for the first mile or so, changing from drive to neutral to park changes the note -- the whole dash area shakes. The noise gradually lessens and from around five miles onward and it then behaves perfectly quietly the rest of the day. Any ideas what could cause this?

I'd suggest 1st checking over the brakes aren't sticking as the calipers can stick with age and this would explain why its worst 1st thing in the morning

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and check that each wheel turns freely - 1st ensuring the handbrake is off and the gear is in neutral

If this is OK then also check the condition of the engine and gearbox mounts for any wear- check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts