Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2003 land rover range rover..suspension..front left..compressor come

Customer Question

I have a 2003 land rover range rover and noticed about a month ago the suspension lowering overnight especially on the front left corner. during this time, i would hear the compressor come on and off pretty often. however in the last week or so i no longer hear it. i replaced the front left strut but it is not filling up with air. i used a wire to bypass the relay and the compressor kicked on. i have noticed that the EAS switch in the vehicle is not lighting up and seems to have no power. i am wondering if the compressor is bad or maybe the relay is bad or if the fact that the switch inside is not coming on is the main culprit. any ideas?? thank you very much.
Quick recap:
1. replaced left front strut assembly including airbag
2. airbag will not inflate
3. compressor no longer kicks on
4. compressor kicks on when relay is bypassed
5. EAS switch inside does not light up or have any effect on the suspension

your help much desired!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 4 years ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I'm desperately seeking an answer.

Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Name is Greg and i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

To be absolutely honest with you the best way to repair this system is to hook it up to the diagnostic Land rover scan tool and first check for codes , the code will then let you know what has malfunctioned .

I could give you little hint of where to check like on the front left side where the hose from the air bag goes over the strut or should i say under the strut is known to rub against the body and perforate making the system leak.

With the scan tool you can switch on the pump and activate many switches and check the functions of the leveling sensors , without the tool you could be days checking this system.

Just a note on this system after 8 to 10 years this system get very unreliable and is prone to malfunction , this is why a company has bought out a normal suspension replacement shock and springs to replace this air system.

Please click here for further details . this is the option i give my customer and i have personally used this kit from this company and they are very good and easy to install.

Need further assistance with this issue please let me know.

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Different expert here do you still need help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, but we ended up taking it to a dealer to be repaired....wish we could have gotten a faster answer to save some $$$$$, but that's the way it goes sometime.

Have a great day .

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.