Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Yamaha grizzly 600 4x4: oil in breather box and smoke comes

Customer Question

oil in breather box and smoke comes from around engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

so,,when you changed the oil..it doesnt have blow by now?it isnt burning oil?...please explain

tims auto repair :

how many hours/miles is on the atv?

Customer:

hi;

tims auto repair :

is it run hard?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

The atv was not run hard, it sat up for several months, I charged the battery, added good gas(to an almost empty tank) it took a while to start but it smokes "after" it warms up, and I'm getting oil from the hose that runs from the lower case left side of motor to right side of breather box.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

how many miles/hours is on it?

Customer:

717hrs

tims auto repair :

does it still smoke ,,after the oil change?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

this isnt good

tims auto repair :

was it over full of oil?

tims auto repair :

what is the weight of oil you are using?

Customer:

no; one half level line on inspection glass to begin with

Customer:

10w / 30

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it is common for it o have some blow by

tims auto repair :

but,,from the way you explain,,it is pretty bad

tims auto repair :

this problem is caused by pressure in the crank case

Customer:

is there a pvc, or pcv valve that could be clogged up

tims auto repair :

and is caused by compression getting by the piston

tims auto repair :

the hose is the pcv

tims auto repair :

it vents to the breather

Customer:

Theres a open bowl at the back of the carb that has no line run to it

tims auto repair :

did it do this before you parked it?

Customer:

No

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it is posssble that you may have a stuck ring,from sitting,,,and could loosen up the more you run it

tims auto repair :

and quit blowing the oil

Customer:

I ran it up the street and it has a lot of power, it dies every now and then but starts right back up

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

run it a little more......it may quit this

Customer:

the end of the muffler is carboned, but no oil!

tims auto repair :

fact is,,,compression is going by the piston rings

tims auto repair :

running it more,,,may help it

Customer:

What is cost of an upper rebuild at a fair price?

tims auto repair :

if not,,i would think the rings are worn,stuck or even broken

tims auto repair :

i would think close to 5 hours

tims auto repair :

it would depend on how much your shop will charge per hour

Customer:

What do you recommend

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

if i were you

tims auto repair :

i would run it a little more

tims auto repair :

and keep an eye on the oil level

tims auto repair :

again,,a ring may be stuck in the piston groove

tims auto repair :

and fix itself

Customer:

Should I put an additive in and drain out some oil?

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

cant fix one out of a can

tims auto repair :

use it for a day or so...before you do anything

tims auto repair :

Customer:

OK I'll give it a try thanks

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.