Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  30 Years Automotive Experience GM/ASE Master Tech

ISUZU MU: I HAVE A 93 ISUZU MU WITH 2.8 DIESEL TURBO ENGINE.

Customer Question

I HAVE A 93 ISUZU MU WITH 2.8 DIESEL TURBO ENGINE. I HAVE ORDERED A REBUILD KIT AND THE NEW PISTONS HAVE ROUND COMBUSTION CHAMBERS ,WHERE THE ORIGINAL WERE RECTANGULAR
THE NEW COMBUSTION CHAMBERS ARE MUCH SMALLER THEN THE ORIGINAL
WILL I HAVE COMPRESSION PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW PISTONS.
I AM TOLD THESE NEW PISTONS ARE THE ONLY ONES SOLD NOW
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.
No it should not give you a compression problem. You need to make sure the you get the new piston rings as well. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i expected an explanation of why the new pistons had smaller cumbustion chambers and why it would be ok to fit them also it is likely the old injector nozells will need to be changed to match them.

any fool can give your answer but i am the one who has to live with the resaults if there is a problem .your answer showed me you have no understanding of the situation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
if the replacment pistons for my isuzu mu2.8 diesel turbo have have much smaller round cumbustion chambers when the origional were larger rectanguler. there will be a compression increase and also a different injector spray pattern.i want to know exactly why the change and what will be the resaults . what injector nozzels do i need. what is the timing. and compression ratio change
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

of course i am waiting for a informed reply. the one i recieved was a nothing answer.

i ordered and recieved a rebuild kit for the engine in my 1993 isuzu mu 2.8 turbo.

the new pistons have smaller round combustion chambers then the origonal rectangular cumbustion chambers.

i have no doubt this will raise the compression considerably. and the injector nozzels spray petern is likely to be different.

so far i cant find any information on this modifaction

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Your statement on how these pistons are different in the chamber area has validity, however, things to be taken into consideration is because of this change to the new piston, they may have made other changes like piston pin location.

Moving it upward will give less compression. Did you measure the pin location as to the old piston, & measure the assembled deck height? Also consider the design change by Isusu to remedy past issues with the old piston casting, & combustion chamber design.