Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1993 TROOPER: NEW FUEL PUMP..WIRES,MAP SENSOR, trottle..TIMING BELT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1993 TROOPER 3.2 IT WILL NOT START AND IT KEEP BACKFIRING. NEW FUEL PUMP,PLUG,WIRES,MAP SENSOR, TROTTLE POSCAN. TIMING BELT, CAN SOMEBODY HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name isCustomerXXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Are there any codes in the computer?

What is the engine compression at?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO CODES TO BE READ WITH OUT OBD1 COMPUTER, COMPRESSION UNKNOWN. CAR WAS RUNNING FINE TWO DAYS AGO. BACKFIRES HARD ENOUGH TO BEND MUFFLER
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
So it does have spark on every cylinder correct?

If you disable the fuel system will it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IT DOES HAVE FIRE TO ALL CYL, AND IT WILL NOT START WITH STARTER FLUID. BUT IT WILL BACKFIRE.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. then the engine is for sure out of time. It could be ignition or valve timing. We need to figure out which one it is.

I would start by checking engine compression and go from there. Even if the timing marks are lined up for the timing belt the valve timing can be off. The dowel pins that hold the camshaft sprocket to the camshaft can break or shear off causing the sprocket to spin on the camshaft which would cause the valve timing to be off. Same goes with the crankshaft key way.

If that checks out good, then we check the engine speed sensor signal while cranking the engine over.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TIMING IS FINE, KEY ON ALL SPOCKET ARE GOOD. TIMING MARKS ARE ALL LINED UP
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. good!

Now we check the engine speed sensor while cranking the engine over.

IS this a dual or a single overhead cam motor?