Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

alero: my 01..wont start..My mechanic says to leave the key

Customer Question

Three weeks in a row now my 01 alero won't start. My mechanic says to leave the key in and on for 30 minutes. It then starts. How can this be fixed
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

why does he say to leave the key on 30min

tims auto repair :

4does the security light stay on when it wont start?

Customer:

Yes The security light flashes for about 15 minutes then goes out. He says it says to leave the key in for 30 minutes so the key can be re-learned.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

when did you last replace the switch?

Customer:

9/22/11

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

did that fix your problem for a while?

Customer:

yes for about 2 months, they cleaned all the ground wires twice.Still had a problem. On 11/29/ they replaced the bcm and reprogrammed it. I think I bought a lemon!!!

tims auto repair :

and the security light will flash..not stay on..right?

Customer:

Last night it was on the whole way home from work, about 15 minutes

tims auto repair :

ok..will it start now?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

security light stays on now also?

Customer:

no

tims auto repair :

ok..so it seems fine now,,correct?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

ok..sense it seems to do this intermediatly

tims auto repair :

lets replace the ignition switch one more time,,,,,it should be under warrenty

tims auto repair :

then do a relearn

Customer:

once a week for the last 3 weeks I've had to re-learn the key

tims auto repair :

i understand

Customer:

Thank you

tims auto repair :

but..the new switch did fix it for 3 months

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

it is common to get a bad new switch for these

tims auto repair :

so..lets try it one more time

Customer:

Thanks I'll talk to John in the morning

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

2001 Oldsmobile Alero V6-3.4L VIN E
Antitheft and Alarm Systems Service and Repair, Procedures: Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

IMPORTANT:

Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed reguardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

All codes in the theft deterent module must be cleared for a relearn.

IMPORTANT:

^ The body control module (BCM) must be programming with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures.
^ If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Pass lock sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
^ If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

^ Passlock sensor
^ BCM
^ PCM

10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED
None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

IMPORTANT:

The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.