Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

97 voyager: wires,cap,rotor,1 downstream 02 sensor..cylinder..o2

Customer Question

97 voyager 3.0l has a multiple missfire,i replaced spark plugs,wires,cap,rotor,1 downstream 02 sensor,i checked compression @ 140-150psi,checked timing-dead on,removed plugs again to see the color of burntips,almost an orange color.codes come up as multiple cylinder missfire / temp sensor low / o2 sensor.after all this it still runs the same...
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

do you feel te miss?

tims auto repair :

does it seem to run well?

tims auto repair :

does it run better hot or cold?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

i feel the miss

tims auto repair :

when does t miss...when its hot or cold?

Customer:

it runs fine,on the scanner it looks like the missfires happen more @ higher rpm's

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

hot or cold makes no diff.

tims auto repair :

does it seem to run rich when it is hot?

Customer:

when i check the o2 sensor data,the rear sensor has almost the same reading as the front ,the rear should be more stable right?

tims auto repair :

well,,not when it isnt running right

tims auto repair :

you get a tempeture sensor code?what is it?

tims auto repair :

again..does it seem to run better,when the engine is cold?or when it is warm?or does it run better warm?

Customer:

sorry i;m checking my scane

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

code 17 for temp. & 43 for missfire

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets replace the temeture sensor for the computer

tims auto repair :

it cost is around $25

Customer:

this code could only mean that engine has not reached closed loop yet right?and it has only 1 temp.sensor on the intake rhs?

tims auto repair :

what my be going on here..is the computer thinks the engine is always cold or hot at all times..thus,flooding ,or leaning the engine after it s in closed loop

tims auto repair :

just a second

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

o.k i was starting to look @ the pickup coil n the dist.am i on the wrong track?

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

that is a possibility on the engine also

tims auto repair :

but..they dont usally act this way

Customer:

is there a way to test the pickup coil?

tims auto repair :

well there isnt a good way,,because you cant dublicate te voltage

tims auto repair :

though you can do an ohm test.....but dont have faith in that

tims auto repair :

and sense it does run ok..it wont show bad

Customer:

going back to the temp. sensor,my scanner ,after the van is warm it shows that it is in clsed loop

tims auto repair :

i uderstand that

tims auto repair :

i have seen this before

tims auto repair :

also

Customer:

just from hearing this issue u think the computor is keeping theengine in open or closed loop?

tims auto repair :

there is another thing i want you to try here

tims auto repair :

remove and clean the egrvalve

tims auto repair :

these will sometimes get a piece of carbon under the valve

tims auto repair :

makinh a vacuum leak from the exhaust

tims auto repair :

again..dont rule out the pick-up coil,,,it just dont seem as if it is bad ,,from the way you explain

tims auto repair :

Customer:

the egr,if that was an issue i should be getting a egr code or emissions code

tims auto repair :

no...you have too much faith in your scanner

tims auto repair :

lol

Customer:

i guess so

Customer:

the tem.sensr does it only have the 1

Customer:

and the orange spark plug tips is that lean fuel?

tims auto repair :

sorry..storming here

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

you shouldnt be getting a code for the temp sensor after the engine is warm

Customer:

the missfire & temp.codes both come on at the same time fter about 30 km's

tims auto repair :

ok..so,,the engine is at tempeture then,,,right?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

ok..you shouldnt be getting that code

tims auto repair :

so,,replace it

tims auto repair :

Customer:

do you believe in jesus christ

tims auto repair :

sure

Customer:

bless you buddy

Customer:

are we then finish here

tims auto repair :

if you are

Customer:

i think i might go and try these fixes & carry on with the day

tims auto repair :

i would think,,frm what you are saying,,it is a simple fix

Customer:

thanks for your time

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.