Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

2006 isuzu: with the p0017 fault code

Hi. Sorry but I'm back. I have the 2006 Isuzu i280 pickup with the P0017 fault code. well it turns out I did not get all the codes. The other codes were a P0300 and a P0014. Can you help me figure out what to do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Shadetree, how are you? Those codes actually work together and the crank and cam sensors are used to determine the cylinder miss fires, (random) which is the P0300.

DTC P0300

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the PCM is able to detect individual misfire events.

P0014

DTC P0014

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The cam phasing system is a hydraulically actuated phase shifting mechanism. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies the ignition positive driver and ground circuits. A pulse width modulated (PWM) driver controls the amount that the camshaft actuator solenoid assembly advances or retards the exhaust camshaft. The exhaust camshaft is commanded to a maximum retard position of 25 degrees . When the exhaust camshaft is retarded at the maximum rate, the duty cycle of the signal is at 100 percent . The maximum advance rate has a 0 percent duty cycle. Other than when the camshaft is at full advance, a 50 percent duty cycle is used to maintain a steady retard angle. If the desired and actual cam phase angle error exceeds its tolerance value for a certain amount of time, then DTC P0014 will set.

graphic

graphic

graphic

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• The scan tool cam phase control function increments the cam phaser in 10 percent increments. Each increment equates to 2.5 degrees of cam phasing. A cam phase angle of 15 degrees is achieved by commanding the phaser with the scan tool to 60 percent .
  • Inspect any engine mechanical work that has been performed recently. Verify that the engine timing has not been altered.
  • If this DTC is set along with any crankshaft position (CKP) or CMP sensor DTCs, then both the CKP and CMP sensor DTCs should be diagnosed prior to performing this diagnostic. The PCM uses both inputs to determine the actual camshaft position.
  • Check the following items:
  • A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
  • A loose CKP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
  • Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly
  • Debris or contamination interfering with the CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly
  • Debris or contamination interfering with the CMP actuator assembly
  • Engine oil has a major impact upon the camshaft actuation system's responsiveness. Oil temperature, viscosity, and quality can slow and/or inhibit the phaser's ability to reach a desired phase angle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it sounds like I should replace both the Cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. Is that correct? Sorry it took so long to get back to you as i've been out of the house.
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that would eliminate them both and they are not all that expensive.

graphic

Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor 8125880970 $32.22
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Replace B 0.2 0.5

Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Camshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Intake 8125845160 $41.86
Exhaust 8125840790 $46.55
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Camshaft Position Sensor
Replace B 0.0 0.3

graphic
Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Camshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Intake 8125845160 $41.86
Exhaust 8125840790 $46.55
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Camshaft Position Sensor
Replace B 0.0 0.3

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks. I already purchased the camshaft position sensor. I'll go buy the crankshaft position sensor too. I have one more question. After looking at your pictures of the engine, do you think I should buy and install the camshaft position actuator solenoid too? Is there a way to check the actuator solenoid to see if its good?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
I would hold off on the actuator for now. There is a way to check it in a vise with air pressure and it doesn't pay to take them out and go through all the work just to test it. They are pretty expensive and take some time to repalce.

Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Variable Valve Timing Actuator
Replace
Camshaft Gear
Cam Position Actuator Gear B 4.6 6.6

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager