Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

stall..I take my foot off the accelerator..air intake..car ran

My car has started to stall when I take my foot off the accelerator. The mechanic said it was a dirty air intake valve. They cleaned it and for a week, the car ran great. It started happening again and my son's friend checked it. He showed me that the housing over the valve had not been removed. He couldn't loosen 2 of the screws, one was broken off and the other was stripped. He sprayed some lubricant in (under?) it and so far the car has only stalled a couple times. I worry about taking the car back to the same place but am upset they weren't upfront about just what happened. What recourse should I have to ask them to fix the screws and take the housing off to really clean it this time? Thanks for any help you can give me. Beth
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

It sounds to me like there might have been some confusion as to what they cleaned. Sometimes shops clean the throttle body itself which does not require removing anything expect for the intake snorkel. You might be thinking of the idle air control valve. More work goes into removing the entire throttle body and removing and cleaning the idle air valve. There is a different between the idle air valve and the throttle body.

If I am mistaken and they were talking about the idle air valve but never took it off, then yes.. it needs to be brought back there and they need to do the repair right if they charged you last time it was in.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm so sorry for my delayed response! I've never used this method before and wrote to you as I headed out for the weekend. I didn't realize you'd answer so promptly. In the morning, I will check my work order and get back with you to see if I was confused about just what they did. Then I'll finish this up so you can get paid! Again, my apologies. I'll be in touch tomorrow. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

NO worries! Let me know what you find!

I will be looking forward to your reply!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, they said they cleaned the idle control valve. I asked about whether or not they would have had to remove the housing (and told him about the broken off and stripped screws). He said they could have gotten to it from underneath and wouldn't necessarily have had to open up the housing unit. He did tell me to bring it in and he'd look at it and I might need the whole thing replaced. The part would be $250 and he would reduce the labor bill. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
YEah.. I honestly think they did not remove it the first time. If not, this will need to be done. If so, then the idle air valve might just need to be replaced.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question.... since the guy told me they could have just cleaned it from below and wouldn't have had to take off the housing, is that true? I don't want to blame them for making the housing impossible to remove now (since my labor charge would now include getting out a stripped screw and a broken one). Should they have removed the housing or could they have as easily (and properly) cleaned it from below? I just want to be knowledgeable when I go back there. Would YOU have taken the housing unit off to clean it? Or just done it from below?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

YES.. I would have taken it off to clean the idle air valve. However, he might be talking about cleaning it through the bottom of the throttle body. However, this would not be a good way to clean it as it would not get all of the way in there.

I hope this helps!