Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2.4: no 1 just changed timing fine..lifter..exhaust side

is there a definative way to tell that the 2.4 motor is at top dead center on no 1 just changed timing belt all marks line up perfect had to move the oil pump drive sprocket wasn't sure of position when i took it apart don't know if it was clocked quarter turn off the car seems to run fine just develops lifter tap on exhaust side once warm didn't know if i had oil pump sprocket out of phase
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2004 kia optima lx 2.4L 130000
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

There is a timing mark on the oil pump sprocket you will need to go back and make sure all marks line up at the same time including the oil pump.

Here are diagrams that may help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all the timing marks line up at the same time but i also noticed that they all line up except the oil pump shaft at certain positions where the oil pump shaft is at a 7:30 position the only reason i was concerned is because of the lifter noise that started after the repair that's why i was wondering if there is a way to verify top dead center for no, 1
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
To verify top dead pull the #1 plug put your finger in the plug hole and turn the engine by hand in the same direction it runs, as the piston comes to the top on the compression stoke compressed air will push out past your finger and you know it is approaching top dead then you just go a litlle further until the piston is all the way up which you can see with a light looking in the hole.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
being a dual overhead cam would a compresion tester work instead of my finger would it build pressure only on compresion stroke
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Yes that will work!!