ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

91 ford ranger: to just stall..going down..clutch..few minutes

Customer Question

What would cause my 91 ford ranger to just stall while going down the road? It has done this before and I just pushed the clutch and turned the key and it started before even coming to a stop and another time I pulled to the side of the road and turned the key after a few minutes and away I went. This time I am having no luck. It just cranks and cranks with no results. I has a brand new fuel pump and a brand new keyed ignition. Those seemed to have fixed the problem for a while but then the problem returned. What else could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 4 years ago.

ksengage31 :

Hi, my name's XXXXX XXXXX i'd be happy to offer you some help today.

In order to really come to an answer to your problem, we'd have to do a little checking/testing to find out whether its fuel or spark, or otherwise that your losing when the vehicle stalls. However, knowing that you've already had an issue with the fuel pump i have some initial questions -

Was the wiring and connector at the fuel pump itself checked carefully for corrosion, burnt spots, or breaks? These were all common to this model.
Was the fuel pump relay changed?
Was the fuel filter changed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The wiring and connector at the fuel pump were checked briefly. I did not inspect thoroughly the entire wire and connector. It is of course now all put back together and I would have to remove the fuel tank again in order to re-check that which is why I have not done that. I have purchased two used electronic ignition control modules and neither of those have made a difference in producing a spark. So I'm still getting no spark and seemingly no power to my fuel pump. This truck has a 2.3 L engine (4 cylinder) with 8 spark plugs and two distributor coils.(4 plugs each) No spark from either coil.