Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

blower for heat and a/c stopped working..warning..next time

Customer Question

i have a 2008 Land Rover LR3 and the blower for heat and a/c stopped working out of the blue last night with no warning.

i've had this happen on prior LR3s i've owned but it's always come back on the next time i've started the car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now. Will return shortly

Tracer :

Most commonly we see the blower motors sticking. If you can get to the blower behind glovebox/up under dash on right side,, turn key on and set blower on HIGH. begin tapping fairly hard with small hammer or similar on and around the blower motor itself. In most cases it will come back on. If so? this indicates you do have a blower failing. I really am not leaning to control panel but,, the blower module/resistor is a possible to hitting hard on blower with blower turned on helps to diagnose this

Customer :

how do you get to it...do you have to remove parts?

Tracer :

checking something

Tracer :

the blower basically point straight down to floor up under passenger side dash. I cant remember if you can just remove the panel under dash and view it or if in fact you do have to remove the glovebox. hard not being there. Here are directions for changing it which kind of lead you to it. Click HERE

Tracer :

I am failry certain you can vie the blower from up under passenger dash

Tracer :

"fairly"

Customer :

how do you tell if it's a fuse or a resistor?

Tracer :

You unplug blower and use testlight to see if power there OR check the blower fuse. You then get to blower and backprobe the ground wire at blower connector and jump to ground. If no blower? then bad blower. if blower runs, suspect bad resisitor. I have normally only seen blowers fail when you lose 100% blower as the resistor is what controls the speeds

Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.