Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician
12642649

2007 Isuzu Ascender: speedometer and fuel gauge..troubleshoot

2007 Isuzu Ascender. The speedometer and fuel gauge do not work. Is there a way to troubleshoot these gauges to find the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Dan :

Hello

Dan :

My name is Dan

Customer:

Hello Dan, Lyn here

Dan :

to test these cluster, You need a dealer type scan tool to command the gauges on and off.

Dan :

These spedometer are known for going bad

Dan :

I just put a cluster in one today for the spedo not working

Dan :

The fuel gauge could be caused by the fuel level sender unit.

Customer:

so I need to have to have someone check the command gauges

Customer:

can I replace the speedometer

Dan :

Some of these had policys on the fuel sender unit. Hold on a min. and i will try to check

Customer:

thanks

Dan :

I am not seeing one in my data base but My data base doesn't have all the information. I would check with the local dealer to run your VIN # XXXXX see if there is a policy on these sensors or even clusters.

Dan :

As far as the spedo

Customer:

By policy are you meaning recall?

Dan :

The entire cluster would need to be replaced. The mileage is stored in the cluster, so the dealer would need to program the mileage into it when they replace it.

Dan :

There is aftermarket places that will solder a new motor into the cluster to fix it.

Dan :

There are places that you can remove the cluster and send it to them and they will replace the motors that run the gauges. That cost around $100 to have it done verses $300-$500 to replace the cluster

Customer:

Would you have a name for one of those places or do I need to Google?

Dan :

A ploicy is like a recall but only applies if the problem happens. I think the 06 had the policy but not sure about the 07, You would have to check with the dealer to comfirm.

Dan :

They are all over ebay I know. Youi can google them also.

Dan :

If you are good at soldering or know someone that is, You can do it your self. Parts are only $10-15

Dan :

I done one saturday for a friend for the first time for me. Came out ok.

Dan :

Give me an minute and i will send a link

Dan :

Here is a website for the trailblazer cluster. But they are the same http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886

Customer:

Great Dan. Yes I can solder. Thanks for your help

Dan :

You can get parts on ebay cheep also.

Dan :

Back on the fuel gage

Dan :

If you can get to the connector on top of the tank for the level sender, You can place different resistors in it and watch the gauge

Dan :

You would have to lower the tank to get the connector loose and out enough to test it.

Dan :

50 ohms is empty and 240ohms if full and 130ohms is 1/2 tank

Customer:

Yeah I figured the sending unit on the fuel gauge but kinda wondered since both it and the speedometer had quit.

Customer:

thanks for your help

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician