sean, Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

Skoda Fabia: I have a Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 66kW (90PS) and

I have a Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 66kW (90PS) and I am considering chipping it. RaceChip claim increases of up to 83kW and 289Nm. Since Skoda offer a 77kW version of the same engine, presumably by chipping it themselves, would I be unreasonably stressing the engine and drivetrain by making this change? My normal driving style is fairly staid, I would anticipate using the extra power and torque only occasionally.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

You wouldn't have any concerns by increasing the power and torque output by this amount. You will find that the base engine for the different power outputs produced by the manufacturer will be the same, the power increase tends to be produced by slight modifications to other components. For example some manufacturers use the same engine but have different turbo chargers or intercoolers to produce extra power. Any increase in power won't affect any part of the drivetrain unless it was significantly more than you're proposing.

The chip supplier or manufacturer should also warrant any chip supplied so if in the very unlikely event of it causing damage they will pay a the repair costs, so just check any warranty given before you buy.

Let me know if I can assist any further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon I can.

Best wishes,