ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

92 dodge shadow: turbo removed..Keeps burning out ignition coils.

Customer Question

92 dodge shadow. engine out of labaron, turbo removed. Keeps burning out ignition coils. Put old one in to get home, runs ok. new coils last 15 miles maybe. very hot. help. #3 cylinder fouls out. red.
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 2 years ago.

ksengage31 :

Hi, my name's XXXXX XXXXX i'm happy to offer you some assistance today.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

please excuse my slow server.

Customer:

red is the color of the car.

Customer:

just read you questions. will check and get back to you.

Hi, i'd like to try to help you with the failure of the ignition coil before we address the misfire cyl #3 too much. 15 minutes is a pretty fast failure time. Just a few questions here to help point us in the right direction.

Have you tested the power and ground wires to the coil at all?
If not we'll need to check both with a voltmeter or test light to make sure neither the positive volt supply or ground is weak causing the coil to overheat.

What does the gap look like on the spark plugs? (measured with a plug gapping tool)
Have you replaced or checked the ASD relay on the car? (if not we can cover this as well)

thanks,

Jesse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here are the numbers:
Power: 14.2v
(Not ground) 9.6 to 10.8v

With car off Wire to wire 6.8 ma 1.1v
running 4 v

More info; #3 inside cap is black
wires replaced after problem started.
Ok, good info. I'm going to suggest before going much farther, and now having the numbers you provided to keep in mind, to go ahead and replace the cap and rotor before any new testing. The misfire on cylinder #3 is going to create a really heavy load on the coil, being that there isn't a proper path for spark to travel through the secondary ignition parts.
It's definitely part of the problem, if not all of it. Lets clear that up first.

Thanks,
Jesse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cap and rotor changed. needed it, it was black.
misfire still there. (old coil is still in it,)
hard starting. need to feather to get to accelerate.
rpms jumping all over.
still misfiring.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all four plugs fouled this time. cleaned. we will test run this morning.
Interesting. Has the check engine light been on since then with any new codes we can use to help us?
Is the ground cable from the engine to firewall present? Poss was left out or damage when engine was swapped?
Has the timing belt been changed on this engine since it was installed?
I'm wondering if the map sensor is acting properly. at the map sensor connector [3 2 1]
the center wire #2 is signal wire. Measuring volts from #2 to ground, values should be approximately 4.6-4.9 key on engine off. Key on engine running about 1.8 to 2.4 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still trying to find the right cap. evidently we may have intermingled parts of the 84 with the 92? My son said he cacked the cap putting it on and it did not have the "groove" required.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pickup was blown apart. will check other voltages when replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no check engine light.
ground cable good
timing belt replaced at instalation

need to retime

looking for map will test tomorrow
Yes, i'd wondered about the timing myself. If your going to recheck the belt, a straightedge is helpful for getting all the marks spot-on with these. You can hold it right across all the gears. Good luck tomorrow, ill be interested to see what you find with this one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
runs good cold. need to put timing light on it. possibly one tooth off on distributor. was able to run 5th gear!

rpm still high. (1200 - 800) at idle. perfers 1200, thren cuts down for a moment.

when hot, (about 15 miles) tach jumps all over driving (2000-3000) was 2000-4000 before. strarted to misfire. high perf coil in now, old one finally died.

where is map?

The MAP sensor is mounted on the firewall passenger side, or near passenger side strut tower.
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, been out of town for a few days. While traveling on the interstate, after five miles, complete loss of power. towed it back. will update later. knocking on lower end?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know when my son will gt back to this. i think he is discouraged. I'm going to thank you for your time and get back to you again later. ceg
I understand, thank you as well and im always happy to assist.