Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Daihatsu S 80 LP-JTRK: We have a Daihatsu Hi Jet S80LP-JTRK.

Customer Question

We have a Daihatsu Hi Jet S80LP-JTRK. Can we convert to gasoline, and what carburetor is needed if this is possible? Tom Franzman
Category: Car
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 4 years ago.

Canuck Tech :

Is this currently running on diesel?

No. It runs on LP gas, hence the model number S 80 LP - JTRK. There is no carburetor since it is already a gas, but I want to eliminate the LP system. It is old, the tank is out of code, etc., and I don't have a good way to fill it either.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

I have never seen a kit to convert one of these, and there are not a lot of these in the US. If you want to convert it to a carburetor you should look at the Solex PICT 34-3. These were used on some early VW beetles that were carbureted. You will need to fabricate an adapter to allow it to bolt on. This model of carb has a built in automatic electric choke you wire up to get power when the ignition is on. Side draft CV carbs like motorcycles use, and some foreign cars use, like MG's can be easier to install, but they are much harder to tune. The PICT 34 is so universal, it shouldn’t require any jetting modifications. When fabricating the adapter keep an eye on vertical clearance, and consider clearance for some type of air filter. I have bought several of these PICT 34 carbs through the years on ebay, you can normally find a good deal if you have some time to shop. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.