Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

RA - 203

Customer Question

Hello...I have a Japonese Susuki Jimny, 2010 model. My first question is: what OBD code is used in this model - 1 or 2 ? The second question is as to where is located the OBD connector?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
was this Suzuki buit in the USA ? what model is this ? what model is this equivelent too in the USA ? it should be OBD 2.they stopped making OBD 1 after 1995.and with ti being OBD 2 the connector for the OBD 2 has to be located drivers side inside the vehicle .should be an open 16 pin connector under the drivers side of dash
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it was not built in the USA. It must have been built in Japan and sold on the Brasilian market.
As to the connector location, there is no connector at all under the drivers side of dash- that´s the reason for my quesion!
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
On all the Jimnys I have looked at the ODB connector is (on UK Right Hand Drive versions) just up underneath the dashboard by the drivers left knee, next to where the radio mounting frame is.

But the OBD connector is for use with a diagnostic reader not for shorting out pins on.

The 6-pin one behind the glove box that you appear to have found is the one for shorting out to read the codes.

Most EFI Suzukis (maybe all?) have two diagnostic interfaces for the ECU. One diagnostic connector allows codes to be read by counting the flashes from the Check Engine Light after jumping two of the pins with a wire link.
The second connector is either a 16-pin OBD2 (J1962) connector or a 12-pin ALDL type connector, this connector is for use with a scan tool. Models equipped with the ALDL connector use a Suzuki proprietary interface known as the Serial Data Link (SDL). Models with an OBD2 connector use SDL, OBD2 (ISO-9141-2) or OBD2 CANBus.
Airbag, ABS and transmission controllers usually have there own test connectors, these are not covered here.

Check Engine Light Method

Some early models have an empty slot in the fuse box that requires a fuse to be inserted. Most models have either a 4-pin or a 6-pin connector that requires a wire link to be inserted to pull the fault codes.

Typical Connector locations:
First gen. Vitara/Sidekick/Tracker
Underneath the bonnet either beside the battery or beside the (UK) drivers side headlamp.
Behind glovebox
GV/Grand Vitara
Under bonnet beside ignition coil (if fitted)

Six pin connector:

There are two input 'switches', the Diagnostic Switch Terminal (DST) and the Test Switch Terminal (TST) and two output lines the Diagnostic Output Terminal and the Duty Output terminal. The Diagnostic Output Terminal is simply a connection to the Check Engine Light (CEL). Diagnostic modes are selected by placing jumpers between the switch terminals and the ground terminal.
The test modes are given in the table below. '0' represents a grounded input, '1' represents a non-grounded input.

Input Terminals
No Diagnostic Outputs*
Ignition Timing to Initial Settings
Diagnostic Codes Output on Diagnostic Output Terminal*, ISC Duty Cycle on Duty Check Terminal
Diagnostic Codes Output on Diagnostic Output terminal*, Injector Duty Cycle on Duty Check Terminal

* When CEL is ON this terminal will be 'High', when CEL is OFF this terminal will be 0V.

Four pin connector:

The four pin connector is similar to the six pin connector. The Diagnostic switch terminal outputs the fault codes on the The Test Switch Terminal sets the ignition timing to base settings.

The test modes are shown in the table below. '0' represents a grounded input, '1' represents a non-grounded input.

Input Terminals
No Diagnostic Outputs
Ignition Timing to Initial Settings
Diagnostic Codes Output on CEL, ISC ouput on Duty Check Terminal
Diagnostic Codes Output on CEL, Injector Duty Cycle output on Duty Check Terminal

Fault Codes:

Fault codes are indicated by flashing the CEL as shown in the picture below. In this case the fault code '21' is being output. The light is switched ON twice in quick succession to indicate a 2. The light is then OFF for 1 sec and then flashed once to indicate a 1. There is then a 3 sec period with the light off before the next code is indicated. If there are no other codes then the sequence repeats.

Below is a description of the codes and some hints on fault diagnosis. In all cases there is a possibility that the ECU is damaged, however this is unlikely unless the CEL does not light, remains on permanently even with a jumper in the connector, or you have the main and fuel pump relays clicking continuously.
Diagnostic Code
Diagnostic Item
Possible Fault
No fault or fault in not monitored circuit
O2 Sensor
ECU will drive mixture rich or lean.
If O2 reading doesn't change or is slow to change a fault is flagged
Water Temperature Sensor
WTS signal High
Open circuit sensor or bad ground
Water Temperature Sensor
WTS signal Low
Short circuit in sensor or wiring shorted to ground
Throttle Position Sensor
TPS signal High
TPS faulty or open circuit signal or ground connection
Throttle Position Sensor
TPS signal Low
TPS faulty, short circuit signal or open circuit power connection
Air Temperature Sensor
ATS signal High
ATS open circuit or bad ground
Vehicle Speed Sensor
VSS faulty, Broken Speedo cable
Air Temperature Sensor
ATS signal Low
ATS short circuit, signal wire short circuit or open circuit power connection
Compensation Resistance Signal
(Diesel only?)
Open circuit or shorted
Glow Plug Relay Signal
(Diesel only)
Open circuit or shorted
Manifold Pressure Sensor
MPS signal Low
MPS faulty, open circuit power connection
Boost Sensor Signal
Boost sensor Signal Low
Boost sensor faulty, open circuit power connection
Manifold Pressure Sensor
MPS signal Low
Boost Sensor Signal
Boost sensor Signal High
Boost sensor faulty, open circuit ground connection
Mass Airflow Sensor
Mass Airflow Sensor
NE Sensor
(Diesel only)
Timer Control Valve Signal
(Diesel only)
Crank Angle Sensor
CAS signal not present during cranking, only shows while cranking!
Faulty CAS or bad connection
Knock Sensor circuit malfunction
Faulty Knock Sensor or bad connection
Starter Signal
(Diesel only?)
Starter signal on during engine running
Starter signal off during cranking
Idle switch
Idle Switch Open
Faulty Idle switch, badly adjusted TPS, open circuit signal or ground connection
Idle Switch
Idle Switch Closed
Faulty Idle Switch, badly adjusted TPS or signal shorted to ground
Exhaust Gas Recirc Valve
EGR modulator faulty, exhaust passageway clogged, bad VSV, vacuum leak, catalytic converter fault
Leaking Injector
Bad injector, dirty injector, excessive fuel pressure
Spill Valve Signal
Stuck spill valve, open or shorted wiring
Shift Solenoid Valve A (#1)
Shift Solenoid Valve A (#1)
Shift Solenoid Valve B (#2)
Shift Solenoid Valve B (#2)
TCC Solenoid Valve Electrical
TCC Solenoid Valve Electrical
Test Switch
Test Switch Terminal Grounded (Samurai only?)
Wire link still in diagnostic plug or signal shorted to ground
Memory Error
(Late models)
ECU internal write error or checksum error
Transmission Range Switch circuit malfunction
Fuel Temperature Sensor
Fuel temp. sensor, open or shorted wiring
Output Speed sensor Circuit Malfunction
Input/turbine Speed sensor Malfunction
ON - Not Flashing
ECU Failed
Immobiliser codes not matched (ECU side)
ECU Internal fault
Serial Data Link
No Immobiliser codes registered in ECU

Serial Data Link Interface

The ALDL connector has the SDL on pin M, Pins ? and ? provide 12V power and ground for a diagnostic scanner.
SDL uses pin 9 on the J1962 connector, ISO 9141-2 (OBD2) uses only the K-Line (pin 7).

ALDL Connector

OBD2 (J1962) connector

This is a bi-directional one wire interface. Its existance is not widely publicised, it is usually shown in the wiring diagram as a single box connected to the ECU and labelled SDL. However as described above it is connected to an underdash connector. Currently there is only one scanner known to be compatible, the Tech1 scanner which costs several thousands pounds. I am currently working on a cheap alternative. There are some variations to the protocol, below I have detailed the protocol used by the later 8v models.

Message Length

An example:

Send To ECU

Header = $13
Message length = $04
Offset = $00 to unknown (will depend on ECU)
Checksum = all bytes sum to zero

ECU returns

Header = $13
Messsage Length = $04
Data = ?

The offset is defined by a look up table in the ECU. This implies that there may be commonality between ECUs. The list below shows the addresses that I have determined so far for the EE88 EPROM. The first column is the OBD address, the second column is the actual memory address being read. I have made a prototype scanner to create the hardware interface. Parameter definitions will be filled in as work progresses.

00 $0044 = Fault Codes
01 $0046 = Fault Codes
02 $0045 = Stored fault codes??
03 $0047 = Stored fault codes??
04 $0187
05 $004D = RPMH, RPM High Byte (RPMH + RPML = RPM/4
06 $004E = RPML, RPM Low Byte
07 $00D5
08 $0093
09 $00DF = WTS
0A $00E0 = ATS
0B $9803 = ECU variant
0C $0070 = TPS Angle (referenced from idle switch
0D $005B = TPS Position
0E $005A = O2 Sensor Volts*2
0F $00AF = ISC Duty Cycle
10 $00FE = Injector Pulse Width High byte
11 $00FF = Injector Pulse Width Low byte
12 $0066 = Manifold Pressure
13 $0040 = Cylinder filling??
14 $00BA = Ignition Timing (degs)
15 $00D8
16 $00F3 = Short term fuel trim
17 $00EB = Long term fuel trim
18 $00E1
19 $00D9
1A $0058 = Battery Voltage * 0.0737288
1B $0188
1C $0186 = Flags? Bit2 = Fuel Pump?
1D $0095
1E $0079
1F $0002 this is a PORT?

So to read the TPS position send:
$13, $04, $0D, $DC
The ECU will respond with:
$13, $04, Position, Csum

OBD2 diagnostic links will be either ISO 9141-2 up to around 2006 and CANBus on 2006-on models. These protocols are covered fairly comprehensively on other sites so I won't detail them here. Diagnostic scanners are available quite cheap and these will access all standard OBD2 defined data. Below I have listed the manufacturer specific codes defined by Suzuki.

Insert table here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but this article I have already seen ( but note that not even the 6 pin connector is to be seen under de glove compartment!!
It seems that I will have to direct my questions to a Susuki repair shop.
Thanks for your effort.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
i will open it up to the other experts and see what they have for any information
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since no expert could find a satisfectory reply to my question, please cancel this question.