nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Land Rover Freelander: YOU KNOW HOW BAD ECONOMIC THINGS ARE

YOU KNOW HOW BAD ECONOMIC THINGS ARE IN GREECE. I M A JEEP CHEROKEE-LIBERTY 3,7 AND, AS THINGS GO BAD, I INTEND TO PARK IT FOR A WHILE-DUE TO TAXES. SO, WHAT S YOUR OPINION FOR LAND ROVER FREELANDER 1.8 PETROL 3D HARDTOP YEAR 2005? I KNOW K SERIES ENGINES HAVE MANY ISSUES UNSOLVED(MOSTLY WITH HEAD GADGET AND OVERHEATING). DO YOU THING THAT IS MONEY WASTE??
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Parking your vehicle and getting another one (due to taxes and high fuel prices) is totally a money waste:

Billy :

- your vehicle will depreciate (price) without being used)

Billy :

- the other vehicle you get will depreciate, and will take some maintenance and fixing.

Billy :

- considering these two factors, you will save money eventually by just driving your vehicle, without buying another.

Customer:

BILL I M INTERESTING IN MECHANIC HELP-ABOUT THE LAND ROVER

Billy :

As for the land rover (freelander)....it has a few problems....and it does require some maintenance....if long term reliability and fuel economy are the target, get a toyota rav4, a honda CRV, or equivalent.

Billy :

ok

Customer:

WHAT PROBLEMS HAVE YOU NOTICE?

Customer:

WHERE YOU LIVE?\

Billy :

Many problems....the most consistent problems with this vehicle would be:

Billy :

- ABS, TCS, and HDC lights coming on (warning lights) due to faulty brake pedal switch, or faulty wiring on gear lever (HDC wiring)

Billy :

- A/C leaks from expansion valve, which will require replacing

Billy :

- water ingress in the rear, and water condensation on rear windows, due to water coming in through rear (corners)...the rubber gommets, or seals would require replacing

Customer:

FUEL ECONOMY ISN T MY PROBLEM.MY PROBLEM IS TO BUY A CAR WITH MECHANICAL PROBLEMS DUE TO WRONG DESIGN-AS FREELANDER SEEMS TO BE

Billy :

- knock noises on rough terrain, due to rear subframe cracking (requiring welds and Strengthening).............

Billy :

PS: there are mechanical problems....i'm listing those (i recommended the other vehicles for reliability, as the freelander's fuel economy is not bad).

Billy :

- problems with fuel filter and seal, causing misifre and rough starts

Billy :

- problems with HT wire (high tension) from ignition coil....chafing on air box, causing short to earth, and misfire

Billy :

- rear wheel bearing noise, causing excessive wheel wear on one side

Billy :

- rear electric window, opening by itself....caused by a faulty multi function control module (or body control module)

Customer:

YES I KNOW WHAT U SAY-AND YOU CONFIRM MY OPINION ABOUT THE VEHICLE. MY PROBLEM BILLY IS THAT I M A 4X4 FUN SO -AS THINGS ARE WORSE THAN EVER IN TAXES-YOU CAN T IMAGINE HOW BAD THINGS ARE- I M THINKING FOR A DAIHATSU TERIOS 1.5 -RECENT MODEL

Billy :

- the overheating problem you described...requiring a head gasket replacement...

Billy :

and the list goes on....

Billy :

a daihatsu terios will be much more reliable, and with a much lower running cost than the freelander.....however, it has a somewhat poor engine performance (due to the small engine)

Customer:

I WON T S3ELL MY JEEP FOR 3000 EYROS PAL

Billy :

Yes, i get that......keep your jeep......but think about japanese options (daihatsu being one)

Customer:

I CAN STAND POOR PERFORMANCE OF A RELIABLE ENGINE-WOULD YOU PREFER TERIOS OR SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 3D OLD MODELS-TILL 2004?

Billy :

terios.....

Customer:

I HAD GRAND VITARA 2.5V6

Billy :

the vitara have engine and suspension problems.....

Billy :

the terios (if in good condition) is much more reliable

Customer:

SO IF YOU HAD TIO BUY A GRAND VITARA 1,6 YEAR 2004 AND A TERIOS YEAR 2006 WITH DOUBLE PRICE YOU PREFER TERIOS?

Billy :

the suzuki 1.6 engine is not so bad (the 2.6v6 and 2.0v4 are the bad engines)....but i would still go for the terios (if budget permits it).

Billy :

2.5 V6...

Customer:

CONSIDERING THE 4X4 ABILITY?

Billy :

the terios will never stop....unless the engine cannot give any more power......so the lack of power is the only inconvenience....

Customer:

OK BILLY-YOU CONFIRMED MY OPINION-SO BE AWARE OF K ENGINES-I LL HAVE MY JEEP IN GARAGE, HOPING FOR BETTER DAYS TO COME