ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

trooper: put an alternator..my 1995..battery cable sparks way..bolt

Customer Question

I just put an alternator on my 1995 3.2 sohv trooper. The battery cable sparks way too much when trying to put back on. I put two wires on the field winding bolt ( the one with the boot cover) Does this have two wires go to this location or only one. I just put a rebuilt motor in so I have to swap wiring harnesses. The chilton manual is very veauge and does not show good pictures.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

Yes, there are 2 wires that go to the "BAT" terminal at the back of the alternator, (fat terminal) and sometimes they will seem to spark a lot when hooking the battery back up. That could be the memories in the various modules. However, to be sure would may want to hook up a test light, (or an amp meter) to see that the draw goes away, or the light does go out after a few seconds.

The light would get connected between the battery and the cable, (negative side) and if the light doesn't go out then you will want to take each fuse out one at a time until it does go out. That would be the circuit with the draw on it.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was setting up to test amps and it sparked one last time nd new battery has 12 volts plus and there is no spark anymore. the dash lights are dead when key is turned. I had to rewire starter also. Is there a main fuse to check?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please don’t reply to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  ksengage31 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name's Jesse and i'll be happy to offer you some assistance here. On the diagram posted by the previous expert, you'll see there is an 80amp main fuse for the starting/charging circuit. It appears to be located in the fuse block underhood. You very likely have a short in one of your positive wires to ground, and have blown this fuse. I would suspect either in the main battery cable, or power wire to the starter. You need to re-check your wiring, see if its pinched or shorting anywhere, and verify the starter power wires are connected to the proper terminals.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did blow that 80 amp fuse, I will drop the starter and see if wires are screwed up. I did take off a black wire that looked looked it came off the alternator.There are two white wires going on the same ring termnal which has a boot cap on it. The black wire seems like it to go there also. Does the 10 ga. wire go there to? on alternator?
I don't see anything more than the two white wires on my diagrams, im suspicious the black wire is a ground and should not be connected to the same terminal on the alternator. Try following that black wire back as far as you can, and see where it connects to on the other end, and let me know. Sorting out the wiring can be a little tricky when you've had to change some or all of the harness, ill do my best to help you figure it out. : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The black was a ground to the frame. I rebuilt a motor and Noticed that the bottom pulley harmonic ballencer v belt pulley diameter was different then the motor in the car. Is it okay to swap the bottom pulley from the old motor to the new rebuilt motor? Or does each motor half to keep mated pulley from factory.?
Great, that solves the issue of the blown fuse then i would think. Good. I would go ahead and remove the old pulley, try to swap it over so you can keep everything matched. Just pay attention to any keyways present (if any) and look for obvious differences in the way they attach. Should probably fit just fine.
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was worried about being ballenced with other crank. But if you need to replace it must be okay?
Are both engines the same size, and from the same year? O.E. specification crankshaft in the new engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Ok, no worries then. The balance will be correct.