Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

compression..hose clamp was blown off the from of the motor..reservoir

Customer Question

Got an oil changee and within 400 miles lost compression and engine died. Oil was all over under the vehicle and when I checked the oil it was full and had no coolant in it. A hose clamp was blown off the from of the motor but no sign of coolant and the reservoir was empty. The vehicle never started again but when hose clamp was put back on and coolant put back in the coolant when into the oilg and blew out the back of the motor somewhere when trying to start it. Mechanic confirmed oil plug was cross threaded, was over filled and wrong oil was put in...it only uses synthetic but service company put regular oil in it. Please tell me what is going on and if service company is liable..its a 2004 Range Rover HSE with 70000 miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

I assume they did not do anything with the cooling system?

Did you get the mechanic to put the information he gave you in writing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They did nothing with cooling system but they were suppose to check all fluids and the invoice said no leaks found. The mechanic did put it in writing in his report ti in.urance company.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

If they did nothing with that hose, you will have a hard time making them responsible. Even though you have documentation on what they did wrong, those things do not seem to have anything to do with the failure of the clamp or the hose. Add that to the fact that you went 400 miles after the service will make it hard for you to win this one.

Sorry to give you news you might not want to hear but I just want to give you an honest opinion from an outside observer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They did however tell me there was a small coolant leak when I brought it in but failed to tell me or document it til after I told them what happened
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
If you have that in writing you might be able work with that some. Especially if you negotiate without taking them to court they might want work with you and resolve it.

That unmentioned water leak may have saved your engine if it had been addressed. If it was leaking coolant, that could have caused it to overheat and blow the hose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then why is there alot of oil under the whole bottom of car and why didn't the car overheat until after it lost compression?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I cannot explain the oil, are you sure it was not coolant? Also overfilling it will oil would not cause it to overheat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is definitely oil..what can happen if its ovetfilled and have nonsynthetic oil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These were road miles btw emediately after service and how can this all happen by coincidence?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

non-synthetic oil will not hurt. Overfilling signifigantly could cause it to lose oil and smoke. But it really depends on how overfilled it is.

I don't know if it is a coincidence if you went 400 miles and there was already a leak which was not fixed.