BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

landrover discovery ii: how long and proper way to complete

how long and proper way to complete a drive cycle to get a inspection to pass on a disc ii land rover
trying to do in one day
just fixed the problem with new plugs no missing but the inspection needs done only need the drive cycle to finish its self diagnostic
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVE CYCLE AND P-CODE TABLES FOR GEMS AND BOSCH ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS

Both GEMS and Bosch engine management Systems contain a series of "P-codes" which will provide information through Testbook to the technician about the stored system faults. Each of these codes is associated with a drive cycle.

NOTE: Before commencing tests, ensure that no shop manuals or service bulletins supersede any of the following instructions.
IMPORTANT: All state traffic laws must be adhered to while performing any road testing.

Drive Cycles

Each DTC now has one of six drive cycles associated with it.

A drive cycle must be performed to ensure the problem is fixed and customer satisfaction is achieved.

REMEMBER: DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION AT THE END OF A DRIVE CYCLE. RECHECK FOR FAULTS WITH TESTBOOK.

DTC and EAT Code Attachments

Tables have been generated to provide a quick reference for both Bosch and GEMS related P-Codes.

Transmission codes are closely associated with the engine management systems.

SERVICE DRIVE CYCLE

While each of the OBD II monitors is often completed during the course of normal driving, there is a way to be sure they run in a single driving session. This is called the Service Drive Cycle, and is of value to technicians diagnosing OBD II concerns.

Plan a test route that will allow you to accomplish the tasks listed. Obey posted speeds and all traffic laws.

1. Allow vehicle to cold soak until coolant temperature is less than 60°C (140°F ).
2. START engine.
3. Idle for approximately 8 minutes . Diagnostics for misfire, sensors and actuators will run and produce an outcome. An additional test requiring the engine to run for a total of 15 minutes is present. Idling is the most efficient way to achieve this.
4. Shift into Drive. Accelerate up an incline at wide open throttle to maintain a high engine load for approximately 10 seconds . This allows Neutral/Drive switch and Vehicle Speed diagnostics to take place.
5. Drive on and off the throttle so that a total of 40 gear changes take place. (Shifts from Park to Drive or Drive to Neutral don't count toward this total).
6. Accelerate to 35 - 45 mph and maintain this speed at a steady load for approximately 3 minutes . This allows fuel trim adaptations and catalyst monitoring to take place.
7. Slow to idle and place the transmission in Park.
8. Bring the engine to 1500 - 2000 RPM for approximately 1 minute .
9. Idle for 2 minutes , then turn ignition to OFF.

Drive Cycles

TestBook drive cycles are as follows:

Drive cycle A

1 Switch on the ignition for 30 seconds .
2 Ensure engine coolant temperature is less than 60°C (140°F) .
3 Start the engine and allow to idle for 2 minutes .
4 Connect TestBook and check for fault codes.

Drive Cycles

TestBook drive cycles are as follows:

Drive cycle B

1 Switch ignition on for 30 seconds .
4 Perform 2 light accelerations, i.e. 0 to 35 mph (0 to 60 km/h) with light pedal pressure.
5 Perform 2 medium i.e. 0 to 45 mph (0 to 70 km/h) with moderate pedal pressure.
6 Perform 2 hard accelerations i.e. 0 to 55 mph (0 to 90 km/h) with heavy pedal pressure.
7 Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes .
8 Connect TestBook and with the engine still running check for fault codes.

Drive Cycles

The following are the TestBook drive cycles

Drive cycle C1 (vehicles without advanced evaps):

1. Switch ignition ON for 30 seconds .
  2. Ensure engine coolant temperature is less than 60°C (140°F) .
  3. Start the engine and allow to idle for for 2 minutes .
  4. Perform 2 light accelerations (0 to 35 mph (0 to 60 km/h) with light pedal pressure).
  5. Perform 2 medium accelerations (0 to 45 mph (0 to 70 km/h) with moderate pedal pressure).
  6. Perform 2 hard accelerations (0 to 55 mph (0 to 90 km/h) with heavy pedal pressure).
  7. Cruise at 60 mph (100 km/h) for 5 minutes .
  8. Cruise at 50 mph (80 km/h ) for 5 minutes .
  9. Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes .
  10. Connect TestBook and check for fault codes.

Drive cycle C2 (vehicles with advanced evaps):

1. Switch ignition ON for 30 seconds .
  8. Cruise at 50 mph (80 km/h) for 5 minutes .
  9. Cruise at 35 mph (60 km/h) for 5 minutes .
  10. Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes .
  11. Connect TestBook and check for fault codes.

NOTE:
The following areas have an associated readiness test which must be flagged as complete, before a problem resolution can be verified:

• catalytic converter fault;
  • Evaporative loss system fault;
  • H02 sensor fault;
  • H02 sensor heater faulL
When carrying out a drive cycle C to determine a fault in any of the above areas, select the readiness test icon to verily that the test has been flagged as complete.

Drive Cycles

TestBook drive cycles are as follows:

Drive cycle E

1 Ensure fuel tank is full.
2 Carry out drive cycle A.
3 Switch off ignition.
4 Leave vehicle undisturbed for 20 minutes .
5 Switch on ignition.
6 Connect TestBook and check for fault codes.

These are for the factory resets.

Bob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience