Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Suzuki Reno S: 2005 suzuki reno, no high beams or low beams.

Customer Question

2005 suzuki reno, no high beams or low beams. Daytime running lights, parking lights, passing flash work. Checked all fuses (F6, EF12 , EF15, EF20, EF27),checked headlamp relay, replaced headlamp switch (on steering column). Does headlamp power pass through dimmer switch? Looking for help to find a resolution.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

yes..power gos though the dimmer

tims auto repair :

if you want..i could give you a wirediagram

Customer:

plz

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

just a second

Customer:

so if there is an issue with the dimme switch this could cause the syptoms i have?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it could

tims auto repair :

though you may want to do more testing

Customer:

that is good to know

tims auto repair :

the diagram will give you somewhere to start

Customer:

k

tims auto repair :

just a second

Customer:

np

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

2005 Suzuki Reno L4-2.0L
Headlamp Diagrams, Electrical: DRL (Day Time Running Light) and Head Lamp Circuit Wiring Diagram

Customer:

is there any test i can do at the dimmer to find if it's the problem or if i need to head somewhere else

tims auto repair :

2005 Suzuki Reno L4-2.0L
Turn Signal Switch Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Headlamp / Turn Signal Switch and Lever Removal and Installation

Headlamp / Turn Signal Switch and Lever Removal and Installation

Removal
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the upper and the lower steering column cover panel screws.

71_sk04foren_06-008a.png
Full Size Image

3. Remove the upper and the lower steering column cover panels.
4. Remove the turn signal switch by pushing the tabs on the top and the bottom of the switch housing.

72_sk04foren_06-008b.png
Full Size Image

5. Disconnect the electrical connections from the turn signal switch.

Installation
1. Connect the electrical connections to the turn signal switch.

73_sk04foren_06-009a.png
Full Size Image

2. Install the turn signal switch by snapping it into the switch housing.
3. Install the upper and the lower steering column cover panels. Install the upper and the lower steering column cover panel screws.
^ Tighten the upper and the lower steering column cover panel screws to 2.5 Nm (22 inch lbs.).

74_sk04foren_06-009b.png
Full Size Image

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

tims auto repair :

i really dont know of a good test

tims auto repair :

sense this is a multi-function switch

Customer:

right

tims auto repair :

give me another second

Customer:

k

Customer:

i have traced power through most of the diagram you have except for power through the dimmer

Customer:

is there a way to bypass the dimmer

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

you could jump it at the relay

tims auto repair :

but..i wouldnt do that

Customer:

i have all this info already, i bought a DIY book, i just suck at following the wiring diagrams

Customer:

k, i won't

tims auto repair :

i am looking through my computer ,,trying to see if i can find you a breakdown test

tims auto repair :

just a second

Customer:

and the diagrams didn't spell out if the headlamps used the dimmer circuit

Customer:

np

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

this may help you some

tims auto repair :

2005 Suzuki Reno L4-2.0L
Headlamp Testing and Inspection, Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures: High-Beam and Low-Beam Headlamps Are Inoperative on Both Left and Right Sides

High-Beam and Low-Beam Headlamps Are Inoperative on Both Left and Right Sides

60_sk08forre_esm_09b-105.png
Full Size Image

Step 1-20

tims auto repair :

Customer:

where would i find headlamp connector 1?

tims auto repair :

i would think the problem is the multi-function switch

tims auto repair :

these will burn out sometimes

Customer:

do you mean on the steering column?

tims auto repair :

yes

Customer:

i replaced that with a brand new one, with the same result. I tried that first

tims auto repair :

the dimmer?

tims auto repair :

you replaced it?

Customer:

no not the dimmer, the headlamp switch/turn signal switch

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the in-dash dimmer?

Customer:

the in dash dimmer has not been replaced

tims auto repair :

what you need to do,,is sit down with the diagram,,,,and just start testing

tims auto repair :

you are loosing power or ground between the switches and the relay

tims auto repair :

possible dimmer

Customer:

do the DRL use a reduced voltage as compared to low beams and high beams?

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

voltage is battery voltage

tims auto repair :

different circut

Customer:

i see

Customer:

i took a volt reading at the headlamp low beam side and read less that battery voltage, if that makes sense

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

we areloosing power to the lights we know

tims auto repair :

or they would work

Customer:

for sure. now that i know the dimmer is part of the equation i can factor that into chasing the power through the circuit

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it may be bad

Customer:

i hate electrical problems lol

tims auto repair :

but..use the diagram,,and test before you buy one

Customer:

i will, thnx

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

you are welcome

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.