ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

1991 trooper: 4x4..bearing..slave cylinder..clutch still slips

Customer Question

1991 tropper 4x4 we replaced the cutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. some one else replaced the clutch master cylinder, and slave cylinder, and they had the fly wheel reaurfaced. the problem is the clutch still slips. is there suppost to be a return spring in the clutch system? are the rods adjustable by length in the slave cylinder? what is the correct amount of freeplay on the pedal? please if you know of any questions that i have not asked give the answers. i realy do not know what i am doing wrong, and how to correct the problem. the folks that we baught the trooper from replaced everythuing first. not more than a few thousand miles ago. there is not 2 hundred miles and the same symptoms are present that made us cahnge the clutch. what is the proper way to bleed the clutch sstem? thank you very, very much for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 2 years ago.
With all the things that have been changed on this vehicle, you really shouldn't be having problems with the clutch slipping. The only two suggestions i would make to you, is that the flywheel may have been machined past the point where it is too thin or that there is something contaminating the clutch material.
What does the clutch pedal feel like? Does it engage more towards the top of the travel, or seem to be more towards the bottom of the pedal travel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is more towards the bottom. There is no oil coming out of either the transmission or the rear main.
It;s very possible the previously machined flywheel is the culprit here. Nothing regarding the hydraulic portion of the system should cause the clutch to slip. Both the low clutch pedal and slipping points towards the friction parts.
You're going to have to take things apart again regardless to correct the problem, i'm going to suggest removing and inspecting the flywheel, see what the surface looks like. Best bet to replace it. While your in there, you can double check the throwout bearing and any moving parts for binding/sticking. Just for good measure.
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank-you so much for your advice. That really makes sense. Not looking forward to taking it all back out again, LOL. Have a great day, and thank you once again.
Your quite welcome, you too : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it possible to let you know the results without having to pay the $37 again?
Yes, you can send me a message here any time. I'll be interested to see what you find and how things work out! Ill be available also if you have further questions.

thanks,
Jesse