normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

Help Please my 2001 head lights turn..senser..goes away

Help Please my 2001 head lights turn on after the vehicle is on off and drains the battery, when I cover the dash senser it goes away, what ever could it be.
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 5 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Unfortunately I don't have the best of news for you. The headlamps are controlled by the body control module The BCM has a high failure rate on these and I am 99% certain that you will need to replace it.

normanahoyt :

Here are some instructions to identify what has failed:

normanahoyt :

1. The lights are controlled by the body control module. It is located under the passenger's side carpet.

2. Disconnect connector C1282, a yellow connector at the body control module. This connector is at the front of the body control module on the left side. The right front park lights should go out. Disconnect C1283, a gray connector on the front of the body control module on the right side. The lights should now be out, if not, there is a short to power.

3. Disconnect connector C1278, a yellow 20 pin connector on the right side of the body control module. If the lights go out when doing this, there is a short to ground somewhere between the light switch and the body control module, or the light switch is defective.

normanahoyt :

In your case the light switch should not be the culprit and the most likely cause is within the BCM. Inspect it first for any signs of water intrusion. If there is water there right now then dry it all out and recheck as it may still come out of it.

normanahoyt :

There is one more piece in the circuit

normanahoyt :

The instrument cluster itself. I don't expect it to be the instrument cluster because of your statement that covering the sensor prevents the concern. All of that functionality should be within the BCM

normanahoyt :

Thanks for the question, please use the accept feature to complete the process and after that feel free to come back to this thread and post any further questions on this specific concern.