Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1989 Trooper: 4 cyl engine and 5 spd manual..coil..distributor

I have a 1989 Trooper with the 4 cyl engine and 5 spd manual. Problem, no spark. Have replaced the plugs, wires, coil, distributor and power transister (Ignition Control Module). Is it possible that the ECM has gone bad? Cannot locate any repair info on checking the wiring between ECM, ICM and distributor.
Can the ECM be checked or is it a buy it and try it situation?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
When was the timing belt replaced last?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Less than 1 year ago, approximately 3000 miles on this belt.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
What's compression on all cylinders .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have not done a compression test. Didn't expect it to matter as my problem is in the ignition, and just quit all at once.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Please give me a compression reading on each cylinder to determine the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll be happy to do that, but will be a few days, as it is in the driveway with snow piled around it now. Should be melted in the next 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Anytime I'll be here when your ready .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience. I went out in the cold yesterday to do the compression test, and there wasn't any. Cyls 1, 2, and 4 had zero compression, cyl 3 finally showed 100 lbs.

It has set for a little over a year, so I squirted some engine oil into the plug holes, and after 20 min. did another test with same results. Any ideas? Could the valve train be that far out of time? It did run several times after the belt was replaced by a mechanic, and I took the belt cover off and to the best of my knowledge it was in time by the instructions in my manual.

I'm lost!

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok either the timing belt jumped and the valves bent or the timing belt snapped all together figured as much. This needs to be checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.