normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years of automotive experience
22294968

what causes the vtm-4 light to come on after driving for ablut

Customer Question

what causes the vtm-4 light to come on after driving for ablut a mile?
Category: Car
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 2 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Does your check engine light come on as well or perhaps it has already been on?

normanahoyt :

Please get the codes pulled from the computer, typically an Autozone store will do this for you.

normanahoyt :

Also ground the #9 cavity in the OBD2 connector and count the flashes of the VTM-4 light. This will give me a different set of codes to work with.

normanahoyt :

Let me know what you find.

Customer:

The check engine light does not turn on.

Customer:

I used a obd2 scanner and there is no codes.

normanahoyt :

Ok, now let's do the grounding of cavity #9 in the obd2 connector because this will pull codes from a different module.

normanahoyt :

Here is the procedure:

normanahoyt :

Customer Concern:

The VTM-4 light is on, is there a way to get codes?

Average Reported Mileage:
124168

Tests/Procedures:

1. To retrieve codes, ground the Brown wire in cavity #9 of the OBD-II connector and turn on the key on and the VTM-4 light should flash out the problem codes.

Tech Tips:

To clear the codes follow this procedure:

Park the vehicle on level ground. Shift to the P position, then turn off the engine.

Release the parking brake pedal.

With the ignition switch OFF, ground terminal #9 the Brown wire in the OBD-II connector.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

The VTM-4 indicator light comes on and stays on for 4 seconds. Press and hold the VTM-4 lock switch in while the VTM-4 indicator light is on.

When the VTM-4 indicator light goes off, release the VTM-4 lock switch.

normanahoyt :

I m suspecting the differential oil temperature sensor but we must have the flash codes from the vtm module

Customer:

someone is using the auto so I did not have the chance to ground the brown wire to pull the codes. I will do that and get back to you. Thanks

normanahoyt :

Excellent, will look for your communication.

Customer:

the code 112 and 113 appeared following the directions given. I cleared the codes and drove the vehicle again and in about a mile the VTM-4 light came on. I checked for the codes again and only the code 112 appeared this time. Do you know what the code 112 means?

normanahoyt :

Let me check on those codes

normanahoyt :

I will have to check in the AM on a different software

normanahoyt :

Ok, the flash codes only go up to 78 but there is a trick to reading them. The first set of flashes should be longer and you add them together for the 10s. So if you had 2 longer blinks followed by 2 shorter blinks your code is actually 22 and if you the next code was 2 long and 3 short then you had code 23.

normanahoyt :

Here is the definition for those two codes:

normanahoyt :

Code 22 is for right front wheel speed sensor, however, if you don't have an ABS light on you still need to look at the rear end not the sensor on that wheel as it is simply indicating that it sees a variation there when it does not expect it and your problem can be due to brake drag in the rear.

normanahoyt :

Code 23 is for left rear wheel sensor. Ultimately the rear end control module is detecting wheel speeds that it doesn't agree with and the problem may not be in the sensors but in brakes that are dragging somewhere.

normanahoyt :

If you check all of your brakes and find nothing wrong then you will have to test the sensors individually and the wiring to the ABS module which is where those connect to. If your ABS light is on then that needs to be addressed first if it is not then the ABS module is interpreting the readings as accurate and you may be having ABS events when you shouldn't indicating that a wheel is locking up for other reasons.

normanahoyt :

Sensor failure within range (not open or shorted just a reading that is inaccurate but plausible) is a possibility

normanahoyt, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Over 25 years of automotive experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the brakes and found no brake drags on any wheel and also checked the sensors and found them to be OK, but the VTM-4 lights still come on after driving for about a mile. I checked the codes again and finds the 22 code, I cleared the code and the light comes on again after driving about a mile.
Sounds like we need to check the right front sensor now. If you unplug it and put an ohm meter on it I suspect it will check good otherwise the abs light would be on. The problem is most likely in the tone ring on the cv shaft. Look carefully for a crack or damage in the tone ring on the right front axle shaft. Rust can cause enough erosion to cause misreadings. Let me know what you find. You can probably purchase a new tone ring and install it, however, a rebuilt cv shaft may be the simplest way to resolve the concern.