Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1997 Oldsmobile 88 55,000 miles has run great for eleven months

Customer Question

1997 Oldsmobile 88 55,000 miles has run great for eleven months since I bought it. Got gas two weeks ago and started having problems immediately after leaving gas station. Runs very rough, shaking, loss of power, stalls out when switching in/out of reverse.Original code on scan tool said cylinder 4 misfire, replaced all plugs and wires, added gas treatment, have been topping tank off with gas from a different station( the whole row of pumps where I got gas was removed two days after this problem began, curiously enough) still no improvement now getting P0300 random misfire code. suggestions please have a great low mileage used car that Id hate to have to get rid of, thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sense you have a a possible tainted fuel problem

tims auto repair :

and,if you dont want to remove the fuel tank

tims auto repair :

the best thing to do here is to run it as close to out of fuel as you can

tims auto repair :

then,replace the fuel filter and add the fuel treatment....if it is the fuel..this should fix your problem

tims auto repair :

but

Customer:

I had been doing the opposite with trying to dilute the bad gas by keeping it full which it does seem to be running slightly better but not very much. I'm not sure of the relevance but it does run better in 2nd

Customer:

My father has suggested trying to replace the egr valve, he is an experienced mechanic but hasn't had very much time to play around with it and the weather has been horrible

tims auto repair :

the 300 code..is this the only code you get?

Customer:

Yes put it on the scan tool again last night and that is the only code its running now. It says random misfire, in the first few days it said cylinder 4 so he changed the plugs and wires and since then the only code is the random misfire

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets get that fuel out,,,if you run it out or drain the fuel tank first

tims auto repair :

then

tims auto repair :

remove the ignition module

tims auto repair :

it is located under the ignition coils

tims auto repair :

most auto parts stores can test these

tims auto repair :

it is possible that the ignition module is going bad

Customer:

We had discussed the ignition module yesterday and seemed to find a number of posts from other owners having problems with them after a few years.

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

it seems you know you got bad fuel

tims auto repair :

so,,we need to get rid of that first

tims auto repair :

but yes..it is very possible,that the ignition module is going bad

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight V6-3.8L VIN K
Ignition Control Module Locations, Components: Ignition Control Module (ICM)

89_gc97hbody_8a201-016.png
Full Size Image

RH Front Of Engine

90_gc97hbody_8a201-017.png
Full Size Image

Rh Front Of Engine

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Any thoughts on the egr valve? Would you suggest trying that or the ignition module first? And I can't be 100% sure that it's bad gas, because it is an older car and could just be due for some replacements but the car was running great until the day I got that gas and when I seen that the entire row of pumps was removed two days later it just seems like the logical conclusion

tims auto repair :

well..i dont think it is the egr,sense you arent getting a code that really points to it

tims auto repair :

so,,just get the module tested first

tims auto repair :

if ,you know it has good fuel,and the module test good...

tims auto repair :

you may want to remove the egr valve and clean it with carb cleaner

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Alright I think we'll head back to testing the ICM before spending 150 on that EGR and I'm glad to hear I can try to remove and clean it before replacing it if we get to that. Thanks and have a good night.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.