ksengage31
ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.
64970216

buyin parts i cant return cause it wasnt the problem

Customer Question

how much is this gonna cost?i'm not gonna buyin parts i can't return cause it was'nt the problem?no trial & error,can't afford it
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name's Jesse and id be happy to help you with this.
If im understanding your info correctly, you have tested for spark at the coil and it is present?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my test lite lite up testing the red wire that plugs into coil,tested w/ ohm. the 3 spades w/ plug goes& tested from spades to coil wire pin& have continuity,but with coil wire on thers no spark@ dist. end.tested coil wire and had continuity

I see. Im leaning towards the ignition control module, it may be faulty. Here's some info to help you test it and avoid just throwing parts at the problem : )

1. Access the ignition module above the right hand rocker cover.

2. The Pink (439) should have key on B+ at terminal A.

3. Black/White should be a good ground.

4. The White/Black (1847) should have 12 V and pulled to ground when the coil is triggered when monitoring with a scope.

5. The White (423) is the coil trigger from the Vehicle Control Module (VCM). Check for a 5 V square wave when cranking.

A scratch test can be done using a test light to B+ and back probed to the White (423). When "scratched" to the White, the module should trigger the coil and the voltage on the White/Black should drop briefly, indicating a trigger.

You may use a basic digital multimeter to test for a change between between 0 and 5 volts, for the part of the testing that refers to a square wave.
Also, you can see if the module is good the described "scratch test" will trigger the coil to fire once. I believe we'll find the module to be bad, let me know if you need further help with the testing, and how it turns out!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can iget back to you? the truck is my kids& i'm 45min. from where it's at.i'll try to test tommorrow,if it's not rainin,
Sure, no problem.
Hi, just wanted to check in with you and see if you were able to make any progress?