Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

MICE IN THE CAR-SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING RID OF THEM

Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you on this issue.

Toyota Service :

When your car is parked, is it parked in a garage?

Customer:

I am really looking at what to do first...I plan to have the car in to the dealer in the next week for a scheduled checkup- it has about $54,000 miles on it. Does it help to ask then to look where they might be getting in or how it got in when they have the car up on the rack- Do I take it to have it cleaned but I already cleaned the car myself a few days after I first saw signs of mice. Because lately there are holes in recycle grocery bags, I begin to feel that they may have a nest under the middle of the back seat where they have already torn up the black upholstery. or should I see if repair is covered under my insurance policy and ask that they do an estimate and take it to a body shop to replace the seat. I am newly retired and am over 75. I have put mouse traps in the car but they are not interested in the peanut butter...I know I need to do something but I don't want to spend money to have someone check the underbody and charge for it when I should be doing something else.

Toyota Service :

First, you need to get rid of the mice. I had this exact same issue a couple winters ago. I had like 8 mice in my Mustang. They were eating up the seats.

Customer:

It is sometimes parked in a barn, where we have had mice---The first time I noticed it was on a Christmas trip to Swarthmore PA and parked the car on the street so I initially thought they weren't in the car but I believe we have an infestation now.

Toyota Service :

What I did, when the car was parked, was to set some of those white plastic "catch and throw away traps". After I caught a couple, and the evidence they were still there continued, I invested in a couple of those electric piezoelectric devices form Lowe's. Victor 2X, or something akin to that. The frequencey that is emitted form it drove the mice away. After thet were gone, I put the Piezos on either side of the car. I have bot had any issues for quite some time.

Toyota Service :

Are there animals where the car is parked?

Customer:

By the way, most of the time the car has been parked outside and in Upstate NY it has been warm and devoid of snow... Any steps for getting rid of the mice- more mouse traps?

Toyota Service :

If your dogs cannot get to where the car is parked, I have a rather deadly trick.

Toyota Service :

Antifreeze. Mice love it. It also kills them

Toyota Service :

Dogs, on the other hand, love it too. Same end result, I am sad to say. So, if you put antifreeze oit in shallow pans, don't let the dogs ANYWHERE near it.

Toyota Service :

Customer:

The dogs ride in the car but the car is in a part of the barn where there are no dogs. Great idea. Perhaps I will try your solution # XXXXX but you have given me options I would not have known about. Thanks so much.

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field