Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

1995 Lincoln town car Cartier: rear suspension air bags..air pump

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 1995 Lincoln Towncar Cartier. The rear suspension air bags will not inflate. The air pump will not come on. I have reset the switch in the trunk but nothing happens. What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I would start off with refering to this wiring diagram, click here. Check the 2 fuses, the U 30A in the engine compartment fuse box (hot at all times) and the #4 10A in the I/P fuse panel (hot in run).

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I drew this diagram to help you test the relay. There are 4 tests that I numbered. You can use a 12 volt test light or voltmeter on the first 3 tests but the 4th you must jump to ground to activate the relay in order to see if the pump runs so on that 4th test you should use the 12 volt test light or a jumper wire.

The first 2 tests, you are just looking for voltage. The 3rd test you will have to activate the relay somehow. If the rear end is already too low, it should come on automatically once the key is turned on, if not you will have to activate the switch or just skip this step and ground the dark blue/yellow wire and the pump should run. If not then we will move on to checking the pump itself.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot read the diagram of the circuit. When I try to see full image it goes back to ask another question
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Which one? The first or the second? They are both working for me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

neither

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Are you still signed in? try it again.