ksengage31, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified Technician Specialist in driveability and engine diagnostics.

2001 pt cruiser: chip..engine light..scanner even after 150 miles

Customer Question

can you check if a received the right chip for my 2001 pt cruiser, the name is XXXXX XXXXX
my engine light is on and wont reset with the scanner even after 150 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  ksengage31 replied 4 years ago.

ksengage31 :

Hi David, id like to offer you some assistance today.

Can you tell me what diagnostic trouble code number is appearing when checked with the scanner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

p1193 trouble code refers to the air intake temperature sensor. It's located in the air intake tube that connects the air filter to throttle body. Check to make sure its plugged in, and has a good connection. If everything looks ok, and the light still remains i can walk you through the testing required.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all connections are intact
You will need to check voltages at the wires, with the connector unplugged using a voltmeter. Key should be on, engine off. should find 5 volts at the signal wire, and ground on the other. i have more than one diagram for this car, what color are the wires at the connector, and how many?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i first wanted to confirm if i had the right part shipped to me for my vehicle by g-force, but they wouldnt help in giving any answer and informed to look you up. the vehicle has two wires which were connected to the sensor with the chip, leaving the two wires of the obd computer connected to nothing

I see. I agree it would be helpful if g-force could confirm the part number they provided you is correct. I have no way of knowing specifics of what they sent you, because it is an aftermarket part. So we are just testing for proper function to determine. If you have the old sensor still, please try reinstalling it and clearing the code. If this solves the issue, the new part is the problem. I strongly suspect this is the case.

Let me know what your result is, ill be happy to help further as needed!

I did some further research on this companys upgrade part("chip"). It appears that it is designed to provide a false reading to the car's computer. The engine light will always be on when its installed. You can either reinstall the old sensor and hopefully return, or put up with the engine light always being on. Only two solutions in this case.