FixItMan, Master Technician

2002 Isuzu Axiom - Check TOD light flashing, no engine or transmission

2002 Isuzu Axiom - Check TOD light flashing, no engine or transmission performance issues are evident. Vehicle has 198,000 miles on and runs fine. Transmission was replaced under warranty @ 74,000 miles. Had engine replaced @ 140,000 miles. replacement had 60,000 on it, so lifetime mileage is 118,000. Could it be fouled-up sensors?
Hello jacustomer, is the light on as soon as you start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When starting the car the various warning lights turn on and sequentially turn off, the TOD included. At times the TOD light will remain on and flash, other times (not often) it will randomly come on and flash while driving. Even so, up until the last two days if the light had been on, after turning the car off and coming back later to start it up again it would not remain on. There doesn't appear to be any particular scenario effecting when or under what circumstances the light comes on. I'm in Wisconsin, and our weather has been very erratic the last couple of months. Less than average amounts of snow, temperatures have been anywhere from below zero to 50 degrees. The last couple of days have been "warm" for us (40 degrees +) and the light has been remaining on after ignition.
Okay. Most of the time this is due to a speed sensor issue. The sensor may be failing or it may have a bad connection. The only way to know for sure is to scan the computer for codes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had the car in to two different autoparts stores this last Sunday. Used their scanners to hook into the computer port to check the codes while the car was running and the Check TOD light was flashing. No codes came up or were detected at either place.

If I take it in to a mechanic and have the sensors removed and tested, it'll cost me a couple of hundred dollars just for the diagnosis. If it is indeed failing sensors or a bad connection, is that something I can take care of myself? I know where the sensors are, don't know what it'll take to remove and replace them though. Can you advise on where I might find new replacement sensors and what the cost for a replacement part might be? If I chose to keep driving the vehicle as is, what is the risk?

If you continue to drive the vehicle you should be fine. As for the sensors, a scanner at most auto parts stores will not read the right modules. This must be done by a shop. most shops should only charge you one hour of labor to scan the computer.