Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1998 isuzu amigo: speedometer..check engine light..abs light..ecm

Customer Question

I have a 1998 isuzu amigo and the speedometer quit working and the check engine light is on and with a code low voltage imput and the ABS light is on. i changed the speed sensor but did not work, i tride checking the wires and thougt that i found a bad wire but that did not work, i checked the wires going to the ECM and have some questions on that but what is the most common problem with this? i have seen a few forums stating this but no answers.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Most common is the signal from the ecm .Whats the actual code number stored ?It would be a P1456 type code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i can not remember but it was low voltage input.

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok thats caused by the communication line to the ecm then to the speed sensor then to the actual speedometer cluster.This is what needs to be checked next.Could be the harness or the ecm.This is the next step.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

checked wires and even spliced new wire from speed sensor to the ECM. the wire seems to ground out through the ECM

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes the ground path is through the ecm .Thats why the ecm can very well be the issue .I would have that checked next .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how do you check the ECM?

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
You can have it sent out to see if the printed circuit board internally is bad and they can do a solder re flow that will fix it for about 200 dollars.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you refer me to a company
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes I use this place.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will check
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is the ABS light related to the speedometer not working?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes the abs wheel speed sensor will cause this issue and the speedometer issue.Have that checked next .Once you have the code it will help pinpoint the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me check the ABS and other wires and will get back with you
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem.