Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

79 amc pacer. 5.0 304, 8cyl. I need to do an ignition bypass.

I have a 79 amc pacer. 5.0 304, 8cyl. I need to do an ignition bypass. For safety reasons I need to be certain of wire gauge size and maximum switch ampers. Also, how many ampers pass through the starter solinoid on their way to the starter? Also, when it comes to diagnosing the ignition, what should I look for? Would there be a blown fuse in the block that stops the ignition from working? I turn the key, interior things-fine. But there is no juice going to the solinoid.
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A 79 V8? Wow. I have not worked on one of those in 20 years. What a rare car!

Customer:

You can find them on ebay. I'm nostalgic.

Toyota Service :

Used to work on them a lot. Y'know, the Pacer was originally designed for a Wankel engine...

Toyota Service :

Now, to your problem.

Toyota Service :

Change the ignition switch under the steering column

Customer:

I guess it never got that far. Too unconventional.

Toyota Service :

GM bailed out on the Wankel, AMC was going to buy them off GM

Customer:

Under the steering coulumn?

Toyota Service :

Yep

Toyota Service :

Not the key switch, the key moves a rod. the rod connects to the ignition switch.

Customer:

I know the one IN the column. But where is the one under?

Toyota Service :

the ignition switch probably has worn contacts, or it is broken

Toyota Service :

it is a rectangular device

Customer:

Oh. That one. I did change that. Last year.

Toyota Service :

or the wires are burnt

Toyota Service :

common

Customer:

OK. Now, the other questions.

Toyota Service :

where the wires connect, if they are even a teeny bit loose, the wires arc. the acrs burn the connector

Toyota Service :

the ignition switch powers the solenoid

Customer:

Gotcha.

Toyota Service :

If you have 583 amps in the battery, the solenoid passes 582 amps

Toyota Service :

582-582 sorry

Toyota Service :

I think the field wire is 14 gauge

Customer:

what ampre switch?

Toyota Service :

Excuse me?

Toyota Service :

ampre switch?

Customer:

The on off switch for the bypass.

Toyota Service :

You cannot bypass the solenoid.

Customer:

It can be done with a simple pair of pliers, touching one handle end to one end of the solinoid and the other to the other end.

Toyota Service :

Yes, I have done that. The problem with inserting a switch is that same current will burn up the contacts in the switch, unless you can find an extremely heavy duty momentary on normally open pushbutton switch.

Toyota Service :

That is why they use the solenoid.

Customer:

Now I want to run a 14 gauge wire into the car from the solinoid and operate it with a contact switch. I have a 50 amp switch. Would that be enough?

Toyota Service :

A quick peek at the Latest Grainger catalogue should give you a switch that will meet your idea

Toyota Service :

50 amps? Maybe.

Toyota Service :

wait a minute

Customer:

Where might I find the Grainger list?

Toyota Service :

you want to use a switch like using pliers to jump the solenoid?

Customer:

Yes.

Toyota Service :

You need a switch capable of handling 500 amps

Toyota Service :

and not 14 gauge wire. the 14 gauge wire is what Activates the solenoid, mate, not to carry the the entire amp load

Toyota Service :

you need 6 gauge wire and a 500 amp switch

Toyota Service :

Grainger: www.grainger.com

Customer:

Can I find those at an electrical supply store?

Toyota Service :

Grainger will have them, most electical stores wont have them

Toyota Service :

the switch. Electrical supply houses will have the wire

Customer:

If I run the wire to the terminal on the solinoid that operates it which terminal would that be?

Toyota Service :

Hold on...

Toyota Service :

run what wire to the terminal?

Customer:

A hot wire operated by the bypass switch.

Toyota Service :

Personally, if I was going to bypass the ignition switch, I would run a momentary (your 50 amp switch will do fine) 12 volts from the fuse box to the Orange, i think, wire on the solenoid.

Toyota Service :

power the solenoid, let the solenoid do its job. I would not recommend running a switch between the battery and the starter.

Customer:

Could it come straight from the battery?

Toyota Service :

sure

Toyota Service :

12 or 14 gauge

Customer:

Is there any kind of fuse involved?

Toyota Service :

I would recommend it highly, at least 30 amps

Customer:

Is ther any thing else I should know?

Toyota Service :

Just be careful, wrap any open connection with tape to insulate it from a possible short circuit

Customer:

Great. Well, thanks for your time.

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome. Good luck with the Pacer. Thanks for using Just Answer for assistance today. I truct my inof will be very beneficial to you. please choose to click the accept button on your screen. Positive feedback and/or a bonus would be greatly appreciated have a great day!

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field