Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Petrol..Engines fires up revs rise rapidly then cuts out

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8 valve petrol T391MAB
Starting problems last two frosty mornings. Engines fires up revs rise rapidly then cuts out. Try to restart immediatly and engine wont fire at all. leave for around 30 seconds and engine fires up and then cuts out again. Repeated operations have same result. Walk away after much sweariong and return 5 to ten minutes and engine will start and run normally. No ecu light showing as bulb burnt out.
Car left at work for 3 to four hours and starts as normaly.
Appears to be very cold weather fault at first start up. If considered to be fueling problem petrol filter was replaced by myself nine months ago.
Any advice or help, I am a competant mechanic, before taking to garage and probably ripped off, sorry previous bad experiance with same car last year when told ecu was burnt out and found by myself to be just a bunged up petrol filter which according to service record had been changed.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.One common cause is the coolant sensor for the computer. This sensor tells the computer when the engine is cold and the computer will provide extra fuel just like a choke does on a carburetor, this will make it act like it is fuel starved when starting cold. You might also want the replace the fuel filter again just in case it is causing a restriction due to water trapped in the element freezing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Neal, I supected it might be the engine coolant sensor. I will change this and replace petrol filter and let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me know. I think there is a good chance that is all it is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Neal
Car stated normally this morning, much warmer to day.
Am awaiting replacement sensor and hope this solves problem

Regards