Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Isuzu: new front brake drums which I have fitted..hub..wheel bearings

I have an Isuzu NQR450. Have just bought new front brake drums which I have fitted to hub ok. I have put in new wheel bearings which I have done several times before. Have refitted all together and gone for a drive. Smoke pouring from brake shoes. Removed again to see what was wrong. The outside edge of the brake linings is rubbing on a lip on the new brake drums. It seems that the drum is going on too far. Is there supposed to be a spacer behind the inner wheel bearing and seal to keep the wheel out a bit. When I pulled the wheel off I thought there was an extra bearing race on the ground that i assumed fell ou of the toobox.(a spacer?). Or have Isuzu given me the wrong brake drums.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

no, there isnt any spacer behind the inner bearing and grease seal or behind the grease seal. I checked the schematics just to make sure. Isuzu sold you the wrong drums, or the drums were packaged wrong from the factory, which I have seen on more than one occasion. But either way, you need to return them for the right ones